Homeschool Creations

Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Preschool Corner: Letter I


Welcome to the first "official" Preschool Corner. I'll be sharing about our preschool fun this past week and at the end of the post you will find Mr. Linky so that you can participate too in the fun by sharing what you've been doing.

This past week during our Preschool Time we focused on the letter "I".

ABC Book: Igloo




The alphabet book page for the letter "I" was an igloo this week. I cut strips of white paper for Zachary to snip into 1" squares. When he was done cutting, he glued the pieces of paper onto a blue sheet of construction paper in the shape of an igloo.

Art Activity: Inchworm



We had so much fun making this little worm! (We had plenty of toilet paper rolls around the house thanks to Zachary pulling all the toilet paper off the roll, stuffing it in the toilet and plugging the toilet for us.)


  1. Cut two toilet paper tubes into rings (4 rings each for a total of 8 rings).

  2. Fold 7 of the rings flat and then cut them in half. One ring needs to be left whole to use as the inchworms head.

  3. Have your child color the inchworm pieces if they would like.

  4. Staple the inchworm together so the his back is like little arches.

  5. Use a paper punch to put two holes at the top of the worm's head. Insert 1/4 of a pipe cleaner into the holes to use as antennas. Add googly eyes.

  6. Admire your handiwork.
Fun Activities

I Spy
Insect Hunting (never a dull moment with this one!)

Letter Sheet/Collage


I Worksheet






Writing


In addition to our letter sheet this week we have been using a new curriculum called Peterson's Handwriting, so we are learing (and re-learning) some of the typical motions used in handwriting. We've been doing quite a bit of air drawing and practicing the same motions on the window or patio door.


We also had fun writing on the chalkboard using ice cubes. :) Nice and cold, but it did get it clean too!

Rhymes and Songs

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Ten Little Indians

If You're Happy and You Know It

Storytime

Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trappani (also has a tape/cd to go along). Our kids LOVE this extended story!

If You Give....any of these books! by Laura Numeroff





On a side note:

Slowly (but surely) I am going back through my posts and "reorganizing" the ones related to preschool and the alphabet. As I update them, I will link to prior posts in my current posts. Hopefully this will make it a little easier to find preschool related posts and help you all out a little more.

The Preschool Corner is a place for us to share the ideas we are using during our "preschool time" with our kiddos. You can join in the fun and record what you are doing in your house. Publish a post on your blog and link directly here. Then be sure to link to the blog carnival on this post so other bloggers can stop by to visit you.

The guidelines can be found here if you need them.

Share what you've been doing in your house this week!



Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • I just found Iza Trapani's books at the library this last week--and had a blast reading her extended storylines. I especially enjoyed "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Here we go 'round the Mulberry Bush". I have a feeling, though, that my roommates didn't enjoy my reading (er, singing) out loud quite as much as I did.

    By Blogger bekahcubed, At November 15, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home