Homeschool Creations

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Homeschool Calendar and Morning Board ~ Telling Time

I was re-organizing my calendar board for the new school year and trying to get it just right when I stopped over and visited Michelle’s at Delightful Learning and got an idea for a little something to add to our board.

We have several different clocks in our house ~ from the old-fashioned chiming kind with Roman numerals to digital clocks. Michelle was putting her calendar together and made something similar, and I knew that it would help a few of our kids right now. :)

What Time is It? Calendar printable

mini Judy clockIn the blank area of the printable, I have a mini ‘Judy’ clock {it’s about 4.5” squarish}.  I printed the time sheet off onto cardstock, laminated it and then attached the mini clock on with four velcro dots so that we can also take it off the board if we want too.  So far it’s been a great addition to our morning board routine.

Here’s a look at our re-arranged calendar board. The numbers below all link to the documents/sites where you can find the printables. The board itself if a large piece of foamboard that you can pick up from either Walmart or Target for around $3.

And you can totally ignore the fact that the kids were playing with the hands on the clock…and I didn’t realize it until I was posting this picture. :) It was correct when we did it this morning!

Since all four of the kids will have different verses for Awana this year, I took the verse cards off the board and we added a few things to pray for: our President and our Compassion child.

calendar and morning board

1. Today is… This is a printable that I downloaded from Carisa at 1+1+1=1.2.

2. Days in School ~ This is a sheet that the girls use to fill in how many days we’ve been in school.

3. Make the Date ~ This is another great printable from Carisa that you can find on her Calendar page.

4. Skip Counting Charts ~ I have a plastic page protector taped to the board and can slide our skip counting charts into this slot {or another 8 1/2” x 11” sheet}.

5. What Time is It? ~ to work on both analog and digital time

6. 4x6 picture of our President and the Compassion child that we sponsor {if you have space on your board, you can sponsor a child too!}.

7. Today’s Temperature ~  This printable has two thermometers on it where we mark the indoor and the outdoor temperature.

8. Weekly Weather Graph ~ Our weekly weather graph that Kaleb and Zachary both do.

You can also see our our calendar and morning board layout from last year. Be sure to check out these other great resources/ideas for calendar and morning board printables:

Carisa @ 1+1+1=1…Calender page

Michelle @ Delightful Learning

~ Mama Jenn’s Calendar Board

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels: ,

27 Comments:

  • What a neat idea! I think my dd would enjoy something like that - thanks for sharing those links! ;-)

    By Blogger Tonia, At September 2, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

  • A good book is What Time Is It, Mr. Crocodile?
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Time-Crocodile-Judy-Sierra/dp/0152058508/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283430416&sr=8-1 to go with the time theme. The kids really like this one too.

    By Blogger Kristy, At September 2, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

  • That looks great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

  • So cute!!! Love this and your blog! What font is that in the What Time is It sheet? (I have an admitted addiction to fonts!)

    By Blogger Dawn Chandler, At September 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

  • But you can only sponsor a child if you have room on your board :)

    By Blogger Ticia, At September 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

  • You rock, Jolanthe! You always have something I need right when I need it. Thanks for all of your hard work. God has gifted you in areas that I am not and thankfully, He directed me to your blog!!!

    Blessings,
    Shannon C

    By Blogger ShannonC, At September 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

  • Love your morning board, I'm also interested in knowing what font you used! :-)

    By Blogger Margaret, At September 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

  • I really like the addition of things to pray for! I think I will add that too! Thanks for sharing your ideas with us!
    Cassidy

    By Blogger Cassidy, At September 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

  • Great board, however I would not be able to take looking at the president's pic everyday. That is too much for me. I saw skip him and add another sponsor child ;)

    By Blogger Jenny, At September 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

  • saw = say

    By Blogger Jenny, At September 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

  • I'm copying your idea of putting your morning board on foamcore. We have a tiny house and not much space to put stuff on the walls.

    I am planing on buying a picture ledge to put on the wall over our dining table. That way I can switch between the morning board, maps, and other items mounted on different boards. And at the end of the day, or if company comes over, I can pop a "real" piece of art on the wall. *lol*

    By Blogger Jennifer, At September 2, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

  • The font is love ya like a sister ~ and it's free. :)

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At September 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

  • I need to look at this post more closely. I could make a poster and hang it on this huge mirrored wall in the dining room (probably leftover from the 70's?hehe). Thank you!

    By Anonymous Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms, At September 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

  • I love that you have a portrait of President Obama on your board. If we want our children to respect our country we need to teach them to respect the President regardless of what we might think of his policy.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At September 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

  • Looks great! Thanks for the link. :-)

    I love the Judy clock, but I got mine in a pack at the Dollar Tree. :D

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At September 2, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

  • Girl! We haven't even used our board a whole month & you went and added something cute I'm gonna want to copy?? What's that about? LOL :P

    Thanks, though, because I'm actually rearranging a few things that weren't working for us & this will fit right in the blank spot I just made...more printing & laminating in my future! :)Yippee!! (as if I needed an excuse to laminate! HA!)

    Shay

    By Blogger Shay, At September 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

  • And seriously. HOW did you punch holes in the foam core?? I have nearly ripped mine trying to get holes in the right place & punched through both sides...

    By Blogger Shay, At September 2, 2010 at 8:38 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sarah, At September 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

  • Just a question... Do you do a calendar binder or something similar? If so, what printables do you have for each section (namely the clock and days-in-school sections). We use a binder with ours, but I can't wrap my head around how to do the clock and place value sections.

    Looks great!
    Sarah
    seidel.sarah@gmail.com

    By Blogger Sarah, At September 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

  • Thank you so much for this. I did calendar a couple of years ago and kinda got behind last year and left it out this year. I realize now, 5 weeks into our year my son (2nd grade) really could use this. I saw your skip counting charts and now I have to do this! My daughter really needs this! (4th grade) So now my Labor Day weekend is plan is to get this together! Thanks again!

    By Blogger Pam, At September 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

  • Thanks! I'll be adding this to our morning meeting time!

    By Blogger Amanda, At September 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

  • This looks like it would be a bit of effort up front to make mornings easier! Thank you.

    By Blogger Hodgepodgemom, At September 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

  • I love your blog! This is my first year h'schooling my son for Kinder. I am excited to continue this awesome journey I know God has birthed in my heart! I am always looking for creative ways to teach him, and am currently looking to refine things, with a better scedule, teaching tools. I am looking fwd to spending more time learning from your blog. THank you for what you are doing!!!! Blessings-Naomi

    By Blogger Naomi, At September 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

  • This looks like it would be a bit of effort up front to make mornings easier! Thank you.

    By Anonymous Hodgepodgemom, At December 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

  • Just a question... Do you do a calendar binder or something similar? If so, what printables do you have for each section (namely the clock and days-in-school sections). We use a binder with ours, but I can't wrap my head around how to do the clock and place value sections.

    Looks great!
    Sarah
    seidel.sarah@gmail.com

    By Anonymous Sarah, At December 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

  • Hi - just a quick note to let you know that I featured Preschool Corner on a free printable chart of toddler homeschooling related link-ups that I made available on my blog tonight. Hope you don't mind being included! You can see it at: http://infantbibliophile.blogspot.com/2010/09/homeschooling-toddler-related-link.html. If you want to mention it on your blog sometime with a link back, that's great, but no obligation. I just needed a way to keep track of all of the great linkies! Thanks for such a fun weekly feature.

    By Anonymous Infant Bibliophile, At December 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

  • I need to look at this post more closely. I could make a poster and hang it on this huge mirrored wall in the dining room (probably leftover from the 70's?hehe). Thank you!

    By Anonymous Tracy @ Hall of Fame Moms, At December 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home