Homeschool Creations

Monday, July 5, 2010

Audiobooks and Music for Kids

Our family absolutely loves listening to books on CD. If we’re driving around town or on a trip, generally there is some form of audiobook in our car along with us. It’s also one of the rare times that our vehicle experience silence in one way, shape, or form.

Very rare.

We’ll be traveling this month to visit family, so I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorite audio adventures {the ones that even Mommy and Daddy enjoy} with you all. Many, okay ALL, of them have a common thread ~ Focus on the Family Radio Theatre. Love everything that we’ve ever heard from them. You can’t go wrong with these audio adventures.

Chronicles of Narnia radio theatre

Chronicles of Narnia is a set of 19 CDs that has radio theatre drama for all of the books in the series. There were so many points in these books that I started crying after grasping the significance behind Lewis’ words. Although I like Aslan’s voice in the movies better {and giggle occasionally at his voice in these because of comparing it to the movie} they are absolutely wonderful and I’m putting them on my own itouch to listen too!

The Secret Garden   Anne of Green Gables  Little Women  

The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, and Little Women are three that I’ll be loading onto the girl’s mp3 players so that they can listen to them on their own. They have loved reading the books with, watching the movies and really enjoy listening to them too {while the boys would rather listen to Caspian…}.

Legend of Squanto

The kids haven’t heard this one yet, but I’m packing The Legend of Squanto. A new CD will definitely keep their interest and this is one we’ll be listening to this year to go along with our history studies. No reason we can’t get a little school in while we’re driving, right?

Bible Eyewitness

The Bible Eyewitness Collector’s set of 36 CDs was our first introduction to Adventures in Odyssey and we were hooked after these!  They start with stories from Genesis and go all the way through the Bible into New Testament times. The stories are sometimes hilarious {the accents are enough to make adults crack up!}.

For God & Country

I have For God & Country on order from Amazon and am hoping that it will get here in time for our trip! This is another one that will go along with our studies this coming year…and the kids don’t know about yet! We had borrowed it from a friend awhile back and enjoyed the few stories we were able to listen too, so I’m looking forward to adding this to our collection.

Seeds Family WorshipOf course, we’ll be taking our Seeds Family Worship CDs along with us! We have an extra set that we’re going to be sharing with our cousins when we stop by and visit them {shhhh!!!}. I also can’t wait until their newest CD, Seeds of Character is released!!

Do you have some favorite audio books that you can share with me? I’d love to beef up our personal library with some great ‘reads’!

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels:

20 Comments:

  • I think we will be adding these to our school year as well. I was just thinking about getting a small CD player for the school room and now I definitely will! Thanks for sharing!

    Love you,
    Jill

    By Blogger Unknown, At July 5, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

  • I think I need to break down and buy that Narnia set! And I'd love to get some audio books loaded onto all of our ipods. Great idea!

    By Blogger Heidi, At July 5, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

  • We've listed to all the Radio Theatre, too----but not Anne! I forgot they did Anne! I must find that one!

    We adore audio books, too. Let's see...the Laura Ingalls Wilder books read by Cherry Jones are outstanding. My 4yo LOVES them. Peter Pan read by Jim Dale was really good, too. Weird. But good.

    And we also love the picture books w/cds. Here's a post I just did about them--http://bit.ly/faveaudio

    By Blogger ohAmanda, At July 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

  • we are just coming back from our vacation (today!) and it is a 7 hour drive. We listened to several over this past 6 weeks. (all unabridged: Heidi, The Swiss Family Robinson, The Cricket in Times Square, The Red Badge of Courage (this was too old for the kids, but they enjoyed parts), and for the drive home we have Little Lord Fauntleroy (same author as The Secret Garden. We have lovedlovedloved this!

    By Blogger cooperkelly4, At July 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM  

  • My kids are still quite young, but we love picture books with CDs. Skippyjonjones is a favorite right now because I don't have the "very best Spanish accent" that the narrator has.

    For your collection- how about Charlotte's Web?

    By Blogger Manda, At July 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

  • The Bible Eyewitness Collector's set? What ages would you say that is for?

    By Blogger Virginia Lee, At July 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

  • Yes, we do audio books too! We have the Narnia set! We purchased it at Ollies for only $19.00 bucks!! I can find great prices on audio Cd's there.
    My daughter who is 6 listened to the First CD of Narnia and did pretty well comprehending the story.
    Sing and Learn .com has a great selection of some titles!!

    By Blogger Kelly, At July 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

  • We have a few Adventures in Odyssey stories.

    I love them!!

    By Blogger Angell, At July 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

  • Have a great trip! Love listening to audio books I am sure Sammy will love it this year two on our beach trip (not until September).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 5, 2010 at 8:37 PM  

  • thank you so much for posting these!! my three year old loves listening to books on tape while we're driving and i had contemplated getting her a portable dvd player for those 14 hour trips to granny and pawpaw's..but i love the fact that she's listening to BOOKS and will probably stay with those! i had no idea fotf had audiobooks!

    By Blogger Leah, At July 5, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

  • We just finished listening to The Borrowers and loved it and are currently in the middle of Farmer Boy - my 9 year old boy likes it but my 4 year old could take it or leave it. We've also loved the complete Winnie the Pooh stories - I know they seem like they're for younger kids but, seriously, we ALL like them. And we really enjoyed The Wind in the Willows although we skipped the chapter with the half-goat creature.

    My husband and I have enjoyed The Screwtape Letters read by John Cleese but that one's probably better suited for older kids.

    By Blogger Valerie, At July 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

  • You all have given me some GREAT suggestions on audiobooks to looks for! I'm hoping to head to the library tomorrow and see if they have even more for us to cram into the van. I'd much rather have the kids listening to audiobooks than watching movies!

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At July 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

  • Well i have so many audiobooks to share or recommend. Hucklberry Finn (that you can get on itunes podcast for free), Tom Sawyer, all of Jane Austen's books (which you can get free on podcast too), Sherlock Holmes (I recommend the BBC version. You can get them pretty cheap from MP3 Panda.com), Agatha Christie, there are so many I could go on for a while. Itunes under there podcast you can get a lot of free audiobooks and many libraries off audiobooks for free online.

    My kids listen to audiobokks all the time in our house. Right now my son is listening to Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and loving it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM  

  • Jolanthe,
    Thanks so much for the recommendations. We aren't heading on any long drives, but the kids love listening to audio stuff.

    We love SEEDS, but I have a new favorite for you: Andrew Peterson's Slugs, Bugs, and Lullabies. My fourteen-year old and eleven-year old nephews even ask for it when they get in our car! My 2, 4, ad 6-year old love it and you will too! :)

    Thanks for all the audio book recommendations. Our kids like the Bedtime Theater found at the Good Nites diaper website of all places! Check it out, the story is pretty cute: http://www.goodnites.com/NA/Bedtime-Games-Stories/Bedtime-Theater/

    Thanks again for keeping my motivation to educate alive! :)

    In Him,
    Karen

    By Blogger Karen, At July 6, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

  • I recently discovered Librivox (http://librivox.org/). They have public domain audio books available free for download. We listened to the first two "Wizard of Oz" books and Ragedy Ann stories so far.

    It's not incredibly easy to browse through all the offerings for children, but if you go to the advanced search (click on "catalog" first to get to the search page) and then type Children for the genre, you at least get a somewhat manageable list of titles to look at.

    By Blogger Kirsten Hill, At July 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

  • Our absolute favorite is 'Jonathan Parks'. I started to type out all kinds of information but the best thing is to check it out at this link

    http://www.visionforum.com/search/productdetail.aspx?search=jonathan+parks&productid=33690

    We love Odyssey but have more request for these when in the car!! Good story and learning combined, even I learn things I didn't know.

    By Blogger ~the ten of us~, At July 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

  • Thanks for this post - my kids love audiobooks so much that it tends to drive me nuts :) I second the Jonathan Park recommendation and we also love Winnie the Pooh, Frog and Toad, and The Magic Treehouse. As I type, we are listening to the Story of the World by Susan Wise Bauer. I'm definitely going to pursue some of the suggestions here - thank you! P.S. Glad to hear a new Seeds CD is being released!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 7, 2010 at 3:50 AM  

  • I enjoy listening to audio books in my car as well. You might enjoy "Fairest" by Gail Carson Levine. It was really good - there was a lot of singing, it was like listening to a musical.

    Some of my favorites have been: "Becoming Naomi Leon" by Pam Munoz Ryan, "Rules" by Cynthia Lord, the "City of Ember" series by Jeanne DuPrau. I have others I liked if you are interested...but these are some of my favorites.

    By Blogger Michie, At July 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

  • The Bible Eyewitness Collector's set? What ages would you say that is for?

    By Anonymous Virginia Lee, At December 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

  • I think we will be adding these to our school year as well. I was just thinking about getting a small CD player for the school room and now I definitely will! Thanks for sharing!

    Love you,
    Jill

    By Anonymous Mom to 9 Blessings!, At December 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home