Homeschool Creations

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Carousel Art Supply Organizer

Preschool Corner

This week I’ve been putting together new furniture, putting the finishing touches on our revised workbox system, and making some fun little additions to our ‘classroom’ {i.e. our dining room}. Some of the fun put me a little out of my comfort zone.

I’ll be the first to admit that I start twitching whenever the kids start talking about getting the art supplies out. As in, I don’t like messes. At least in my own house. If you’d like to invite us over to do a project at your house, I’d be happy to dig in…{grins}. Kaleb tends to be a little artist…but not in places I would like to actually see art. Walls, rugs, himself. Generally markers stay out of sight, out of {his} mind.

BUT I saw this lovely homemade art carousel at See Jamie Blog and decided that it would be great to have on our table {thanks Kris for highlighting in in the Homeschool Showcase!!}. Although we don’t have an Ikea nearby, I jumped in the car as soon as I could and headed to Target to check out their dollar section to try to re-create my own version.

I was able to find a lazy Susan {$8 in the housewares section} and six tin pails {$1/ea from the dollar section} and hot glue some magnets on to help keep the tins in place {i.e. so they don’t go flying off when the kids spin the thing like crazy}. Jamie gives a little more detail on how she put it together, but it’s super easy to do ~ enough that you might just want to make one of your own!

homemade art carousel

The result? A HUGE success with all of our kids, especially Kaleb. He has been a drawing fiend this week, dropping pictures into my lap and describing them to me in vivid detail ~ volcanoes with hot lava coming out, rainforests…it’s been amazing to hear him talk about things that I didn’t even realize he KNEW about. :)

homemade art carousel

Otherwise, our week has been full of reading, working on our new ‘chore charts’ {I’ll be sharing those soon}, swimming, reading and … reading a lot more. Here are some of our current favorite books ~ I’m in LOVE with this series of Usborne books!!

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.
 
 Photobucket

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

  • Wow! What a great idea :) And I love how it came out!

    By Blogger sbswtp, At July 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

  • What a great idea. I am so going to make this LOL

    By Blogger Cara, At July 1, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

  • I have a old baby food jar thing that turns that I put see thru plastic cups in for our art supplies but yours is alot prettier! might have to upgrade

    By Blogger Gidget Girl Reading, At July 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

  • great idea - might be making this with the kids next week!

    thanks for sharing!
    jill

    By Blogger Unknown, At July 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

  • What a great idea! I will definetly be making one of those!

    By Blogger Kristin, At July 1, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

  • One table + six kids= I NEED to make this!!

    By Blogger Sam, At July 1, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

  • so true....this is a great idea and very practical!

    By Blogger cooperkelly4, At July 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

  • What a creative idea! I'm going to have to share this one, for sure. Thanks, Jolanthe!

    By Blogger Kathy, At July 2, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

  • oh what a brilliant idea, off to check out that blog now.

    Organising materials like these is always my bug bear. I don't ime them (though at times I probably should lol) hence they often strewn everywhere around the house.

    Thanks for sharing. :-)

    By Blogger Kylie, At July 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM  

  • What a great idea! I have all the art supplies in little containers like that, but on a lazy suzan would be great for easier sharing. Thanks for the idea! Now I am going to check out those books! :)

    By Blogger Kami, At July 2, 2010 at 1:59 AM  

  • I love that lazy Susan idea! I definitely will have to remember that when I don't have a baby in the house to eat any crayons available to him. ;)

    Do you know if you can buy those Usborne books in bulk somewhere? Or did you just get them from the library? $10 is a lot for each one of them! Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Christy, At July 2, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

  • I love organizational ideas - thanks for sharing! And thanks for the linky, too. :)

    By Blogger Counting Coconuts, At July 2, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

  • Love the art caddy.. I wonder if I should let Sammy have a little more free range w/ the art supplies if they would actually be used how they are intended.. instead of what he uses them for when he finds them now ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 2, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

  • I love the lazy susan idea, especially the magnets to hold the buckets in place. Hmm... now how can I tweak this for our own house? :)

    By Blogger MamaGames - Alexa C., At July 2, 2010 at 9:41 AM  

  • We love all Usborne Books (I recently stopped selling them).
    Have you tried the See Inside Series? They are definitely our current favorites!
    Christy- the easiest way to get them cheaper (or even free) is to host a party. Go to UBAH.com to find a consultant in your area. They usually have GREAT hostess specials.

    By Blogger The Mom I Want To Be, At July 2, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

  • Would LOVE for you to share your updates to the Workbox system!!! I tried it last year and the set-up didn't work for us, so I tried putting them in manilla folders, but that was too crazy! All the little squares getting lost and going through them to try and find what we needed for three...too much for me! Please share pics! I always get so many great ideas for you! Thank you!!

    By Anonymous Paula Clark, At July 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

  • I loved the art carousel idea, so I hit Target on Wednesday night for those buckets (I think a lot of us will have those red, white and blue buckets!). Then I hit the thrift store. I couldn't find a lazy susan there...until I leaned down and looked way back under a bunch of other stuff. And it was half off! 1.50 baby! Yay. Now to actually get it put together!

    By Anonymous Jana, At July 2, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

  • This is such a great idea. I already have the lazy susan.

    By Blogger Unknown, At July 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

  • Thanks a BUNCH for the link! :)

    By Blogger Jamie {See Jamie blog}, At July 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM  

  • This is great! Too bad I didn't think this up myself before buying it at Lakeshore. The buckets are much better than the tubs that our carousel comes with.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 4, 2010 at 2:22 AM  

  • I love that carousel! I've got to make one of those. Thanks!

    By Blogger RockerMom, At July 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

  • I love love your blog! Question- I love your photos- you obviously have a great talent in photography but I was wondering what type of camera you use... thanks again!~ Daniella

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM  

  • Daniella ~

    I have a Canon EOS Rebel T1i 15.1 MP and my 'go to' lens is the 50mm f/1.8. There is a lens that comes standard with the Rebel and I do use it, but the 50mm allows me more light, so it's the one I primarily use.

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At July 5, 2010 at 7:23 AM  

  • I love that carousel! I've got to make one of those. Thanks!

    By Anonymous TheRockerMom, At December 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

  • Would LOVE for you to share your updates to the Workbox system!!! I tried it last year and the set-up didn't work for us, so I tried putting them in manilla folders, but that was too crazy! All the little squares getting lost and going through them to try and find what we needed for three...too much for me! Please share pics! I always get so many great ideas for you! Thank you!!

    By Anonymous Paula Clark, At December 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

  • oh what a brilliant idea, off to check out that blog now.

    Organising materials like these is always my bug bear. I don't ime them (though at times I probably should lol) hence they often strewn everywhere around the house.

    Thanks for sharing. :-)

    By Anonymous Kylie, At December 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home