Homeschool Creations

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homeschool Calendar & Morning Board

Updated ~ A few of you have emailed asking where I store the things that go on our board, so there is a picture at the end of the post along with an explanation. :) I’ve also added an extra ‘Days in School’ that goes along with the Math U See colors. 

I gave you all a little peek at our calendar and morning routine time, but still have a little more to share!!  Our calendar time has changed over the year, especially after Carisa and I got together last fall and I saw her calendar in person.

For some reason, it never crossed my mind to put all of our learning things onto a piece of foam board. {duh} I picked some foam board at Target the next week and started piecing our ‘morning board’ together. I recently re-organized it after putting together a few extra pieces for the board, and will try to explain everything as it is numbered below.

We start out our morning using a pocket chart calendar. Zachary and Kaleb work together with me on this calendar where we talk about the days of the week, months of the year, and patterns. The boys help me pick a pattern for the month and each morning have to tell me what the next sequence in the pattern is.

The month titles are great for working with Kaleb on identifying letters and each day we count up to the number/day of the month {i.e. on the 17th of the month we would count up to 17}. We also sing our days of the week song and the months of the year. You can find me actually singing those learning songs here ‘live and in person’ ~ you know, should you need a good giggle for your day. If we’re lower on the numbers {i.e. less then 10} we practice counting in Spanish.

After we’ve finished our calendar routine, we move onto our board.

Homeschool Morning Board 

1. Today is… This is a printable that I downloaded from Carisa at 1+1+1=1. One of our girls will fill out the day and date information after Zachary and Kaleb have finished our daily calendar. Part of this is hanging using jump rings and underneath there is another part of the same printable {Carisa shows more on her site}.

Days in School printable

2. Days in School ~ This is a sheet that the girls use to fill in how many days we’ve been in school. Underneath the number that they fill in, we break the number down by ones, tens and hundreds. We then use number words to create the number, again by ones, tens, and hundreds. The numbers and words are all color coded {i.e. any number to go in the ones spot is green, tens are red and hundreds are blue}. Pieces all attach with velcro dots.  Added 7/25/2010 ~ If you use Math U See, you can use the Math U See version of the Days in School printable that has red for the 100’s, blue for the 10’s and green for the one’s places.

3. Make the Date ~ This is another great printable from Carisa that you can find on her Calendar page. We use coins to count up to the date number {i.e. the 7th would be a nickel and two pennies}. We use some play money with velcro dots attached to the back, so that the kids learn to identify the coins.

Homeschool Morning Board 

4. Obedience prayer/reminder. This area of the board is actually layered {see the picture above}. There are some small adhesive hooks on the board and I hung pages inside page protectors from them. Right now the top layer is a page that I printed off from a fantastic From Tots to Teens post at about Love. Underneath that layer are…

skip counting charts

5. Skip Counting Charts ~ I have a plastic page protector taped to the board and can slide our skip counting charts into this slot {or another 8 1/2” x 11” sheet}.

Today's Temperature Graphy

6. Today’s Temperature ~  This printable has two thermometers on it where we mark the indoor and the outdoor temperature. I printed it off on cardstock and laminated it, so we use a dry erase marker to draw the ‘mercury’ in each thermometer. :)

7. Bible Verses ~ There are two pockets (I cut up a 4x6 photo book page for the ‘pockets’) that we slide our weekly Bible verses into ~ one for the girls and one for Zachary. When the kids are done learning their verse, we move the card to their small verse book with the collection of verses that they have learned throughout the year.

8. What’s the Weather Song ~ This song printout is from Carisa’s calendar page on her website. I just printed it off, mounted it on a piece of construction paper and laminated it.

Weekly weather graph

9. Weekly Weather Graph ~ Our weekly weather graph that Kaleb and Zachary both do. The pieces all have velcro dots on them and after they look out the window to see the weather, they pick the correct weather card to put in that day of the week slot. 

Here’s a look at the wall where our morning board is hanging {on 3M removable wall hooks ~ love those things!}.

Homeschool Morning Board

Above our calendar we have other printables  that we are using ~ currently they are a poem we are working on, a sheet called ‘God’s Standards’ from Jill’s Tots to Teen post,  and also some music theory information {and before you ask, the pocket page holders are from Ikea}.

Storage for Extra Stuff ~ All those extra weather tags, numbers, words and coins needed to be stored in a central place. I have them inside some plastic envelopes that are about 6” x 6” in size {they are actually envelopes from some of my Close to My Heart scrapbooking supplies}. I also had a box from the company that was intended to store the supplies in and it is now designated to hold our calendar stuff. There are some dry erase markers and paper towels also in the box {to wipe off and write on}. The box just slides onto one of our nearby shelves. :)

Calendar Storage

That’s pretty much it! The links to all the printables are above in the descriptions. If you are interested in using some of the things that we did to put our together, you can start off with an inexpensive foam board from Target or Walmart {under $3}, some double-sided tape and some of the supplies I have listed below. I LOVE velcro dots….and my laminator. It’s a sickness….

If you have any questions, leave a comment and I’ll try to help you out!

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

  • Yay! Thanks so much! Is there a printable of the books of the Bible? I need to find or make one of those and I like yours with the book graphic. Would also love a post on what you do for music sometime. I'm not sure when to begin teaching it and how and all of that. Have a blessed day!

    By Blogger Christy, At March 9, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

  • Thank you for posting all these! How fun! I have a lot to do to get ready for next year and will use these. Bless you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 9, 2010 at 7:31 AM  

  • Thank you!! This is excellent!

    By Blogger LouAnneL, At March 9, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

  • this is amazing! thank you for taking the time to put this up here for us first time homeschoolers! :)

    By Blogger Jenilee, At March 9, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

  • Jolanthe,

    Thanks so much for these great ideas. I have been using a board set-up I saw on another site and like this one so much better. It is more complete. I am going to work on setting up our board today. I love the information you share on your blog. Yes, it is definitely a help to mommies like me who have ideas, but sometimes get tangled up in the particulars of it all and end up not doing as much as we could.

    By Blogger Milk and Honey Mommy, At March 9, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

  • thanks so much for the great ideas of putting all together on foam board (duh for me too!... must of missed on Carrissa's site)... I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind:
    2. Days in School - Do they have velcro backs? and where do you store the numbers and words for Add It Together so the girls can get to them?
    9. Weekly Weather - It looks like there are velcro dots? and you would have 5 each of sunny, rainy, etc in case the weather is the same all week and lastly, where do you store those little squares?

    thank you in advance.

    billdebstanton[at]hotmail[dot]com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 9, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

  • Velcro is my friend. Along with my laminator. :)

    I posted a picture for you all to see how I store our calendar stuff.

    Bible printables are available on my website - http://homeschoolcreations.com/Bible.html

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At March 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

  • I love this! Thanks for all of the awesome pictures and resources! I am printing several of them!

    By Blogger Jenny, At March 9, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

  • Thanks much! My three-year-old keeps asking "what day are we in now," so I know she's interested in learning about the calendar, but I haven't known how to teach her. (I've never heard the days of the week song before; it will come in handy.)

    By Anonymous TopazTook, At March 9, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

  • Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and downloads so generously! It's such a blessing to be able to see what others are doing. I love your ideas!

    By Blogger Grace Whisperer, At March 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM  

  • Thanks so much--got the 10s and 11s now. You are a gem!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing. I will certainly use some of these.

    By Blogger Joelle, At March 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

  • Thank-you for sharing all your ideas! I plan on using your blog to help me get my homeschooling headed in the right direction.

    By Blogger Unknown, At March 10, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

  • I found you through another blogger and it couldn't have been at a better time. My daughter turns 2 in a couple months and we are about to start the A Beka PreK curriculum with her. I'm looking forward to finding ideas and tips here on your blog. Can't wait.
    Malinda @ http://agiftworththewait.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Malinda, At March 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

  • Thank you so much! I love this.

    By Anonymous Melissa, At March 12, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

  • Thanks so much for the Math U See Days

    Dana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 25, 2010 at 10:47 PM  

  • I love this morning board and will be implementing something like it at home.

    By Blogger Gigi, At August 2, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

  • I love this ~ just didn't think I would use it (stick with it) if I made it. But I am going to try!

    Can you tell me what font you used? I'd like to add a couple elements to our board, but it'd be nice if it looked just as nice!

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At August 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

  • Hi Jolanthe,
    I really like your morning board and I'm trying to set up a similar system. Thanks so much for all the effort you put in to make all these printables and for being so willing to share them.
    On another note I'm trying to access your skip counting charts and am getting the following error: "the file is damaged and could not be repaired." Is there any way to get a working copy? Thanks.

    By Blogger Marcello, At September 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM  

  • Marcello ~

    The file is downloading for me, but it's a large file, so it might have to do with internet speed. If you want to email me directly, I can send you the pdf file. :) I don't have an email to reply to you ~ otherwise I would!

    Jolanthe

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At September 1, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

  • Jolanthe,

    It appears the problem is with my computer, which I haven't yet figured out. However, I did find a work around via my husband's computer and it works just fine. Thank you again for sharing this great resource.

    By Blogger Marcello, At September 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

  • Thank you! I found your site looking for things like this.

    By Anonymous Kimber, At September 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM  

  • We have had a great start to our school year. We have enjoyed the calendar time. I used many of the suggestions and activities you share here. Question: Do you do something specific with the "skip counting" like a song or some kind of activity or do you just count together and eventually they pick up on it?
    Thanks!
    Loni
    iris@karrotstick.net

    By Blogger Loni, At September 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

  • How do you attach everything to your foam board? Is everything up there with Velcro? Thanks so much for all the ideas and resources! What a great blessing you have been to my family as we are beginning this homeschooling journey!
    Thanks,
    Johnna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 20, 2010 at 8:04 AM  

  • Johnna ~

    Double sided tape is all I used to attach things to the board. :)

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At September 20, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home