Homeschool Creations

Friday, February 26, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Animal Sorting File Folder Game

While we still went through our usual routine this week, I’ve finally been getting back into a groove and getting ideas for some new printables.

So of course I have to put some together and test them out on my own kiddos, right?

Both of our boys love playing with animals {especially our Schleich animals}, so we gathered all of the animals that we could find around the house and had some fun playing and sorting and sorting and playing. Zoo animals, farm animals, ocean animals ~ they came from near and far to be a part of our school time.

IMG_3229

A little later we sat down to play the Animal Sorting game that I put together. There are three different types of animals ~ farm, zoo, and ocean animals that need to be sorted and put under the header where they belong. Each animal type has 9 different animals in that category and has it’s name listed along on the card.

Zachary and Kaleb both had fun playing with this printable game and I set it up differently for both of them. Zachary spread the game out on the counter to sort the cards, but the file folder {with velcro dots} helped Kaleb have a more defined area and visible amount to sort {the printable shows how you can set it up with velcro for younger ones}.

We also used the cards for Zachary to read and identify. On a few of the cards I changed the words to see if he was really sounding out/reading or just visually identifying the pictures. For example, instead of saying ‘panda’, that picture card says ‘panda bear’.

Animal Sorting Game Collage

Click on the thumbnail to download the pdf file

Reading & Phonics

Zachary is sitting down every day to read with me, but we mix it up a little bit as to what he reads from. Two days a week he gets to pick a Scholastic reader {the little square red books} and the other two days he reads a few pages from the Beehive Reader 1

Math

We’ve been learning about nickles and dimes in the last two weeks, so we’re practicing counting by 5’s and 10’s ~ I have a skip counting printable coming soon for these!

Zachary is doing great telling time to the 1/2 hour so now we’re moving on to the quarter hour. Both of the girls are working on Roman numerals, which makes Zachary want to learn them too. Our main clock in the house has Roman numerals on it, so he has been having fun trying to figure out the time on that clock. :)

We also pulled out our Number Card printables to sequence numbers and start learning some of the early Roman numerals {one and five}.

Favorites this Week

 
 

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.
 
Photobucket

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

  • Great file folder game... I've got mine printed out and ready to laminate :D And I also like the numbers for math... I think this will really help my Noah :D Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Sigalit Chana, At February 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM  

  • What a fun printable! I am going to have to give this a try with Sammy soon :-). He loves working with animals as well :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At February 26, 2010 at 8:07 AM  

  • Thank you for sharing all that you do with your kids!!! your ideas are great and are so helpfull.

    I really can't thank you enough!

    By Blogger {leah}, At February 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

  • Thank you for sharing your reading programs with us. I am alway curious as to what others are using for reading. We were given two different reading programs for Selena, so far the first one from Abeka seems to be working great for her.

    By Blogger Debbie, At February 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

  • I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all the info & ideas you use with your children. I love your blog! My youngest son will be 4this summer & I am looking forward to using your ideas with him. I think I will use this one now :) Again, thank you!

    ~amanda

    By Blogger ~Amanda, At February 26, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

  • What a great week! What child wouldn't want to learn about & thru animals? Thank you for hosting this blog carnival every week! I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing! :) <><

    By Blogger Mama to 5, At February 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

  • Great printables! I am looking forward anxiously to your skip counting printables, because I am not exactly sure how to get to skip counting. It looks like Zachary had a wonderful week.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At February 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

  • Love the game. My kids love the Schleich animals too.

    By Blogger Shaz, At February 27, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

  • Can you be my bestfriend?! You are so great! I love all your resources! Thank you for sharing, and my children thank you too. I think we will call you Tia J. ;)

    By Blogger mommy4, At February 27, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home