Homeschool Creations

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Help Me 2 Teach


Help Me 2 Teach is a website that I was recently given the opportunity to reveiw. HelpMe2Teach.com is subscription-based online search directory for parents, teachers and children and designed for preschool through high school. It was designed by a teacher with 40 years experience to help educators and students find great educational materials.

Here are some of the features:
  • It contains over 2,000 links that are SAFE searches for everyone - no filters needed.


  • Links are arranged by categories and there is also a site search feature


  • Color-coded circles to let you know what age level each link is appropriate for


  • Quarterly newsletters with teaching suggestions and unit study ideas and links

What I liked about the site:

  • Table of contents on the first page give quick "go to" based on subject/area of study


  • Site is safe for kids to search on (no funky 'google' links)


  • Each site has a target age (color-coded) so you don't have to wade through endless links to find what you are looking for


  • Can save time for homeschooling moms


  • The owner is very open to suggestions for the site and has been great to work with when offered ideas. She has already added quite a few areas based on suggestions from reviewers - very encouraging! Elaine is constantly adding new links and materials to her site to make it even better.

What was a little hard for me:

  • Searching by specific words can be picky. For example, I tried to do a search on the word "tigers" and the search yielded no results. When I took the "s" off, I found results. Normally, I wouldn't have taken the "s" off, so the search engine can be a little choosey at times.


  • There are some areas that are lacking a bit. Since we are doing a geography study and moving onto India this week, I searched on India, Taj Mahal...and other Indian things and there were no results in my search. There are general geography resources, but I was looking for specifics, so my google searching turned up much more. ***Since writing this post, there have been several sites added to the site to cover the areas that I mentioned - Elaine is very willing to work with suggestions and on the needed areas.***


  • The price (to me) seems a little high - however, there is a special running right now through December of 2 years for the price of 1, which does make it much better for me. I can much more easily see spending $29.95 for two years of this site.

Overall, I think that this site has a LOT of potential. My kids aren't at the age yet where this would be necessary for them to conduct safe searches on the internet, but I can definitely see where that would be a huge benefit to me as a parent.

If you are interested in finding out more, you can visit the HelpMe2Teach website or contact Elaine directly - be sure to mention you want the 2 for 1 special when you ask a question or sign up!



You can also see other reviews

of this site at the Homeschool Crew blog.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home