Homeschool Creations

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Simple Science Sunday ~ To Microwave or Not to Microwave? That is the Question…

Really when it all came down to it, this was super simple…but it was a lot of fun! I saw an experiment that Jodi at Granola Mom for God was doing on her site {Part 1 and Part 2} and figured that we needed to run our own little experiment too.

The experiment was simple and straightforward ~ buy three of the same plants and ‘feed’ them each a different type of water. One was on a strict 'boiled-water’ diet, one was ‘microwaved-water’ and one just plain ol’ water. We wanted to see if the manner in which the water was treated made any difference in the quality of life of the plant.

Why, you might ask?  I was really, truly curious to see what our results would show and if subsequently we would be chucking a microwave to the curb. I am well aware that Snopes has this experiment on their website, but after seeing what was happening over at Jodi’s house…well, I wanted in on the challenge.

The Plants

I chose three lovely pansies as our victims, plucked off all the dead growth from them and set them up outside to start the experiment. All three plants were given fair and equal treatment, other than the water that they were fed. Their rights were:

~ Receiving a form of filtered water: Filtered {straight-up}, filtered & boiled, and filtered & microwaved. All water was stored in the same type of glass jars that all ran through the same dishwasher cycle to begin with and covered with a lid so the water wouldn’t evaporate or get contaminated.

~ Fair and equal time in the sunshine and wind {and one day of rain}.

~ A rotation around our porch so that not one of the plants could complain about the angle of the sun’s rays {or lack thereof}.

~ Protection from cold weather and harmful children.

~ Equal servings of water. If one plant received 1/2 cup of water, the other two received the same amount, or whatever amount was given…just to keep plant sibling rivalry down.

IMG_4042The plants were assigned numbers that no one, not even Daddy, knew the significance of the numbers. Number 1, 2, and 3 ~ ‘cause we’re fancy like that.

And because I’m mean, I’m not going to tell you which plant is which.

The Results

After almost three weeks, I lined our plants back up and took a mug-shot of them all together again ~ from 1 to 3.

IMG_4551

And to give them each a little more attention, here they are a little more ‘close-up’:

IMG_4547IMG_4546 IMG_4550

To be ‘fair to plant number 2, it was definitely the runt of the bunch when they were purchased. But I’m curious ~ which one out of the three do you think looks the best? The worst?

I’ll let you all have a chance to comment and then I’ll chime in with another post later this week to reveal the secret identity of each of the plants…so stay tuned, but first CHIME IN!!! What do you think?

Labels:

20 Comments:

  • Wow...there is quite a difference in the plants. Very cool experiment. I would rank them 1, 2, 3....just as you have them labelled. Can't wait to find out which water each received...think I'll swear off any water until I know for sure;)

    By Blogger kcmom2four, At May 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

  • Definitely 1,2,3 in that order. Please tell us soon - or kcmom2four and I will soon be dehydrated!

    I'd love to try this, but I'm pretty sure all 3 plants would die.

    By Blogger Mozi Esme, At May 9, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

  • I was first going to say 1,2,3 when I looked at the size of them but looking at the leaf colour, 3 looks healthier followed by 1 and then 2. Interesting experiment... can't wait for the identities to be revealed!

    By Blogger Rusheika, At May 9, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

  • 3 might be the smallest but it looks the healthiest.

    By Blogger Kylie, At May 9, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

  • 3 definately looks the healthiest, even though it isn't as big as 1. Number 2 has some yellow leaves ~ and looks the worst. Can't wait to find out the secret identity!

    By Blogger Cindy, At May 9, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

  • I was all set to say 1 was healthiest until I saw someone's comment about leaf color.
    So 3 is looking best followed by 1. I'd guess 3 got the normal water, 1 got the boiled, and 2 got the microwave water.

    By Blogger Ticia, At May 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

  • And thanks for joining up, I'm having so much fun hosting this.

    By Blogger Ticia, At May 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

  • Interesting...mmmmmm, I think #1 looks the best...

    Can't wait to see the results!

    By Blogger Unknown, At May 9, 2010 at 7:13 PM  

  • I would say in the order they are photographed. What a great experiment! I am anxious to here the results!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 9, 2010 at 8:02 PM  

  • Great experiment I am definetly going to say 1,3,2. Ooh I can't wait to find out!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, At May 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

  • wow! before you started, #3 looked the best. after, #1 looks the best and #2 the worst. can't wait to hear the results.

    By Blogger Leah, At May 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

  • #1 just normal water
    #2 Boiled water
    #3 microwaved water

    Can't wait to hear the results. Cool experiment!
    Nicole

    By Blogger Nicole, At May 9, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

  • Can't wait to see the results.. however, I noticed your microwave by the street when I drove by the other day ;-) j/k.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 10, 2010 at 9:39 AM  

  • I think #1 looks the healthiest and #3 looks the worst. But it's hard to say. I'm looking forward to knowing which is which!

    By Blogger ~Babychaser~, At May 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

  • 3 looks the healthiest. Then 1. Then 2.

    By Blogger Four Little Penguins, At May 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

  • I don't think there's a difference. If you compare the before and after pictures, each plant seems to have done the same amount of development as the others. Plant 1 had some flowers about to open in the before, and in the after they've opened. Similar for plant 2. Plant 3 didn't seem to have any flowers about to open in the before, so it has the fewest flowers at the end. I think any differences seen are just from differences in the plant, not in the watering.

    It would be best to have 3 or more plants per water "type"--so 9 or more total. That way individual plant variation wouldn't be such a big factor.

    By Blogger Brenda L, At May 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

  • I say #1 is best, then #2 and then #3 which looked great at the beginning, then looks like it took a downward turn...anyway, curious to hear the results as my mom just delivered one of these to me in a hanging basket for Mother's Day!

    By Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler, At May 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM  

  • I can't wait to know the results! My guess is the microwaved water would be the poorest. Please tell!

    By Blogger Marcia, At May 13, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

  • I can't wait to know the results! My guess is the microwaved water would be the poorest. Please tell!

    By Anonymous Marcia, At December 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

  • I think #1 looks the healthiest and #3 looks the worst. But it's hard to say. I'm looking forward to knowing which is which!

    By Anonymous ~Babychaser~, At December 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home