Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Getting the Best Price on Amazon

I have to tell you ~ Amazon is one of my favorite places to shop. The convenience of being able to order items and have them delivered quickly {and generally with free shipping} is something that touches a VERY special place in my heart.

The one where I don’t have to haul all four of my kids around town looking for the best price on something. :)

Anyway, I wanted to let you all in on a few tips for finding some great deals on Amazon.

1. Don’t be afraid to buy an item used. It may not always come with the free shipping {generally, s/h on the used books is $3.99 per item, but it can still add up to some HUGE savings. Take the book Meet Our New Student From Mexico {a great series by the way} as an example:

imageThis book retails new for $29.95 and is offered USED for $3.99. After s/h that is a $22.00 savings ~ not just pocket change! We’ve found some amazing books using the used feature that Amazon offers and ones that we generally wouldn’t purchase otherwise. Incidentally, I snapped up this book and all it was missing was the dust jacket ~ something that would get ripped in no less than 10 seconds flat in our house…ask me how I know.

2. Look at the different prices for various formats. Many of the books that you search for are offered in hardcover, paperback and/or library binding.

image The book below {Little Walrus Warning} ranges in price brand new from $4.95 {hardcover} all the way to to $16.95 based on the format of the book. For this book, the paperback version was actually MORE than the hardcover edition. There is also a used version for $1.19 {$5.18 after s/h}, but the new hardcover is an even better price and has free shipping.

Those are just a few quick ways to help save a little bit when browsing the many resources Amazon has. Hope that helps you out some! Just wanted to pass along a little something that is Working for Me!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

  • THanks! It's nice to know that about the used books shipping. I did snag one the other day that shipped for free! I do all my shopping at Amazon too whenever I can. Thanks for the tips! :)

    By Blogger Christy, At May 5, 2010 at 6:40 AM  

  • I do this too! It's always good to check what all is available there! I'd love it if you'd link to my Tuesday's Tips! Thanks!

    By Blogger Lori @ Couponomic Stimulus Package, At May 5, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

  • I love this feature too! Amazon really is amazing and has helped me get things without figuring out where to find them!

    Blessings and love!
    Jill

    By Blogger Mom to 9 Blessings!, At May 5, 2010 at 8:00 AM  

  • I get EVERYTHING from Amazon, unless by some freak of nature someone has it cheaper on ebay. I love amazon.com!!!

    By Blogger Jaime, At May 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

  • Jolanthe, you are such an awesome blessing to me!!! I only recently started following your blog and on FB and I really enjoy all you share. I am an Amazon addict! Yet, I recently discovered the various book formats box!!! I just get so excited to buy a new book I don't look around! But, thank you for the reminder! And, yes, I definitely check out the used price first. The only other place I go to look for books or curriculum is Homeschoolclassifieds.com

    BTW, I just celebrated my 40th year of God's gift of life and my dear aunt gave me a $40 Amazon gift card!!! woo-hoo!!! Off to have some FUN!!!!

    By Blogger Monica, At May 5, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

  • Thanks for this post! I've seen the different prices listed on Amazon but never really took the time to figure out what it all means :)

    By Blogger The Fischer Family, At May 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

  • thanks for this info! who knew hardbacks could be cheaper than paperbacks! .....also, i have a question for you. i'm spending so much money every month on printing out items for homeschooling. I just purchased a canon printer and the ink can't be refilled..in three months I've spent $150 in ink! what printer do you use? would you recommend it? i would much rather spend that money on more books for reagan!

    By Blogger Leah, At May 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

  • I must admit. I love Amazon a bit too much. I don't buy shoes or clothes or makeup or purses. I buy books. A friend recently signed up for a deal where you can get free shipping and two day delivery on anything and everything for one month. I didn't research it because it could become the end of me:-).

    By Blogger ThyHandHathProvided, At May 5, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

  • I must admit. I love Amazon a bit too much. I don't buy shoes or clothes or makeup or purses. I buy books. A friend recently signed up for a deal where you can get free shipping and two day delivery on anything and everything for one month. I didn't research it because it could become the end of me:-).

    By Anonymous ThyHandHathProvided, At December 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

  • I do this too! It's always good to check what all is available there! I'd love it if you'd link to my Tuesday's Tips! Thanks!

    By Anonymous Lori @ Couponomic Stimulus Pac, At December 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home