Homeschool Creations

Friday, October 9, 2009

Preschool Corner: All About the Letter Dd

Unfortunately, my camera is being a little tempermental lately, ever since the 'great drop from above' courtesy of Zachary. I think that I've figured out a way to work the lens so that the camera will actually take pictures now, but this last week only managed to produce actual class pictures.

Be sure to check out my Letter Dd post from last year too for some additional ideas to use for the letter D, including a printable collage sheet, different alphabet page and games.

Alphabet Book



Doctor Kit ~ I still had plenty of bandaids left after our bandaid butterflies, so the kids were thrilled to see the bandaids back. I pulled out whatever supplies I had {that were safe} for the kids to stick in their Doctor Bags.

You'll Need:
  • Black, white, and red construction paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue and tape
  • Q-tips, large craft stick, bandaids, a cotton ball, gauze bandage and other 'medical' supplies you might have around {that are safe for preschoolers}
  • 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper {you can print off the alphabet book if you'd like!}



To Make:

{Note: I cut out all the pieces ahead of time since we have a short amount of time and a lot to do ~ otherwise I would recommend letting the kids cut out their own pieces as much as possible!}

1. From the black construction paper, cut out a rectangle for the doctor's bag as well as two handles. Fold the black rectangle in half to make the bag. Glue the handles onto the bag.

2. Cut out two thin rectangles from the red construction paper and glue together to make a 'red cross'.

3. Cut out a white circle and glue your 'red cross' on. Glue the circle and cross onto your bag.

4. Open the bag and glue/tape all of your medical supplies into the bag.


5. Glue your doctor's bag onto your alphabet sheet.

Art

D is for Dinosaur ~ We made our 'D' shaped craft - a cute little dinosaur this week. You can find the full instructions for him in my D is for Dinosaur post.



Daniel & the Lion's Den ~ I printed of some cute coloring sheets from Christian Preschool Printables for the kids to work on.




Cooking



Dirt Cups ~ I whipped up a quick batch of pudding and the kids had fun banging and crushing oreos and graham crackers to make them look like 'dirt'. We spooned out some pudding and topped it off with our 'dirt' mix. Yum!

Games





I Spy ~ Since my camera wasn't working, I had to recreate as much as I could pull together at home for the letter Dd. You should be able to click on the picture if you would like to download it and print it off. I am hoping to pull together one for each letter of the alphabet {meaning I will backtrack and post the letter A one soon}.

Songs and Rhymes


We used a song during our circle time that is similar to the 'Five Little Ducks' song, but just a little different. While we were singing, we lined up a Momma Duck with her five little ones and the kids took them away one by one as we sang the song.




Additional Resources

Be sure to check out another one of my posts for some more ideas on teaching the letter D. There are some different activities and printables in that post too!

Stories & Books We Used



About the Preschool Corner

The Preschool Corner is a place for us to share the ideas we are using during our "preschool time" with our kids. You can join in the fun and record what you are doing in your house. Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below (if you have questions feel free to ask). Be sure to link back to this blog post so that your readers can find some other great ideas too!

The guidelines can be found here if you need them.

Share what you've been doing in your house this week!



Photobucket

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home