Homeschool Creations

Friday, July 24, 2009

Preschool Corner: Spelling Fun

For weeks Zachary has been asking to do spelling with me. Really, I was hesitant to start with him. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because I envisioned pure mayhem with the letter tiles.

I was so wrong!

Zachary loved the time that we worked on spelling and he did so much more than I even expected him to do. Like his sisters, I started him with All About Spelling Level 1 {review here}. We worked through the first three lessons together and I was thrilled to see how much he is learning. He knows his letter sounds and picked up how to 'alphabetize' the letters so quickly. He also loved slowly sounding out words into their individual sounds {segmenting}.



I asked him if he knew the vowels and he quickly listed them out for me {insert my surprised look here}. When I wanted to know what a consonant was, he gave me this look and said, "It's a letter, Mom." Not exactly what I was looking for, but it was so cute!

We now have a little something more to add to our week with him {he feels like such a big boy!}. I'm excited about it, because the tactile part of the spelling program really appeals to his learning style, which will make it so much easier to motivate him and have him involved in the process.

That's a quick peek at our week - but now it's your turn to share what's been going on in your house!

About the Preschool Corner:

The Preschool Corner is a place for us to share the ideas we are using during our "preschool time" with our kids. You can join in the fun and record what you are doing in your house. Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below (if you have questions feel free to ask). Be sure to link back to this blog post so that your readers can find some other great ideas too!

The guidelines can be found here if you need them.

It's your turn to share!



Photobucket

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • I've been looking for something for spelling this year for my daughter. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check out that link :)

    (I came to your blog from a link on ABC and 123)

    By Blogger Ariana Sullivan, At July 24, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

  • Haha love his response to the consonant question. Too cute. Reminds me of when a friend's daughter added "R" to the group of vowels. Why? Because "a,e,i,o,and u, ARE vowels!" Duh!

    By Blogger Morgan, At July 24, 2009 at 11:12 AM  

  • Girl, you teach me something everyday. I didn't know about letter tiles! K- was reading a letter book to me this morning and other than just two or three sounds, she's got it all down and has been helping me to sound things out. I find that if there is something that I'm telling her, if it is a 4 letter word or less, I'll spell it to her. Sometimes we have to sound it out, but most times she'll look at me and tell me what I just spelled. Hubs is impressed!

    Hey, stop on by the ole blog if you want! I've got a Target gift card up for grabs in the Blog Hop. Paper! Crayons! School supplies in general! You could use it! :)

    By Blogger Bailey's Leaf, At July 24, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

  • I love that your son is just willing to jump in today and learn spelling! Those are the very moments in time we need to seize and teach them.

    I love that you have magnetic letters since it gives them both the visual and touch learning!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    By Blogger Heart2Heart, At July 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM  

  • How awesome! It looks like Zachary is really itching to go. I love it when it happens here - when learning happens, because my daughter wants to know something, not because I want to teach her.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At July 24, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

  • He is really doing alot with letters. I am curious about your spelling program. Going to read your review on it next. I can't believe all that he knows already. I've read your posts about his learning for about a year now and he has really taken off!!

    By Blogger Susana, At July 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

  • way to go zachary!

    By Blogger Denice, At July 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

  • Hey, Jolanthe, for some reason Mr Linky is no longer visible under this post :(

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At July 27, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home