Homeschool Creations

Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Preschool Corner: Letter A



This week we started in a local homeschool co-op. Zachary's class is focusing on a letter of the alphabet each week, so we started working on letter "Aa" activities.



Zachary also started trying to putting his own words together this week. He kept asking for me to sound out a word and he would use our magnet letters to "write" them on the board: hut, God, cat...he loved it and was so proud of himself for doing it! He even sat down and started reading some simple words to me!! Yeah, Zachary!

He's also making big improvements in cutting and making most of the letters in his name - that "Z" can be awfully tricky!

ABC Book: Apple


The alphabet book page for the letter "A" was an apple this week. I cut out an apple shape from red construction paper and Zachary ripped it in half horizontally so that it looked like the apple was munched on a little bit. He also tore the sides of a white rectangle cut out from construction paper and we glued the top and the bottom of the apple to it. He added a leaf and made seeds for the core of the apple by making black fingerprints. Too cute!

Art Activity: Ant Fingerprints

Ink pads are always a favorite and since they were already out this week, Zachary went ahead and made little ants using his fingerprints. When he was done making the bodies with his fingerprints, he added legs and antennaes on them.

Fun Activities

Apple Prints – cut an apple in half and use it to stamp colorful prints on paper.

Letter Sheet/Collage



Writing


We have a white board and chalk board all-in-one from Melissa and Doug that Zachary likes to use, so this week he practiced his letters on the white board (because using the eraser is much fun!

Rhymes and Songs


(To the tune of "Farmer in the Dell")

Let's sing hurray for A,
Let's sing hurray for A,
Let's sing hurray for A today
Let's sing hurray for A.
Apple starts with A,
Ants starts with A,
Let's sing hurray for A today,
Let's sing hurray for A.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • I do believe that this is a must-do. I admit that I'm not a home school mommy, but even if you aren't a formal home school mommy, you are still a home school mommy!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    By Blogger Bailey's Leaf, At June 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

  • This is the perfect activity to start with my son. I found your blog through searching alphabet activites for preschool. My son just turned 3 in June and I think he'll get a kick out of this.

    I'm so glad I found your blog!

    By Blogger Sarah, At June 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

  • I was wondering if you had any posts about the co-op that you are invoved in? I'm just curious about what it consists of, how it got started and how it functions. I'd love to start something like that in my community but need some information! If you could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

    By Blogger Gina, At November 19, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

  • Gina ~

    I'm sorry, I don't have any posts written. If you wanted to email me directly ~ homeschoolcreations at gmail dot com, I can put you in touch with some of the ladies who started the co-op so you can talk more with them. :) They do an amazing job and while I help out and our kids participate, they would know way more details on how they set it up. :)

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At November 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home