Homeschool Creations

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Promises of God ~ Raising Rock Stars

Raising Rock Stars

We’ve been reading along most every morning with the children’s Bible Reading Plan that I downloaded from the Hands On Bible website. Our reading this week was still in Genesis and we’ve read passages about Noah and the Rainbow {Genesis 9}, the tower of Babel {Genesis 11}, God’s promises to Abraham {Genesis 12 and 17}, and some unusual visitors {Genesis 18}.

Questions we talked about this week:

  • What does the rainbow remind us of?
  • Is there anyone we should trust more than God?
  • Should God affect the way we make our decisions?
  • How do we act to strangers? How did Abraham act?

As we get to the activities in our Hands-On Bible, we work on them. This week we completed the activity that went along with our Genesis 9 passage ~ promises. After reading the Bible story we colored a rainbow for the whole family and wrote the promises that we wanted to make to God and hung the rainbow on our cupboards to remind us every day.

rainbow of promises 

The kids all started Awana this past week ~ Kaleb began Cubbies, Zachary will be a Sparks WingRunner, McKenna will be a Sparks SkyStormer, and Laurianna will be in Truth and Training. We’re still waiting on their books to arrive, so for now we’re reviewing the beginning verses in the brochures that they brought home.

If you are using Awana, be sure to check out the free Awana verse printables I have on my website. I’ll be adding more soon {when I get my hands on the kids’ new books!!}.

Hands-on Bible You can learn more about the Hands-On Bible from their website and also purchase the Bible directly from Amazon. A few sample activities can be found here. We are loving this Bible and the creativity that it offers {and the fact that Mommy has a little less planning to do too!}.

Don't forget to visit Carisa at 1+1+1=1 and visit around to some of the other Raising Rock Star posts this week!

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • Love the rainbow idea. Hugs and love, Jill

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 16, 2010 at 7:05 AM  

  • I am a little confused (as usual).
    Is the Hands On Bible somehow related to AWANA?
    Or are they just to separate resources that you recommend. We are doing AWANA too and find your printables a treasure! Thanks.

    By Anonymous Sharon, At September 16, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

  • Sharon ~

    That Bible is not related to Awana ~ it's just a great resource that we've found to use during our family Bible time. We practice our Awana verses every day together and talk about what is in the Awana book too, but we wanted something that we could do together as a family.

    We're also reading through the Bible using their children's Bible reading plan and doing the hands-on activities that that Bible provides. Here's a link to where I talked a little more about our morning Bible routine:

    http://homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com/2010/09/our-morning-bible-routine-raising-rock.html

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At September 16, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

  • HI there, I love your blog and am sending you a blog award, check out my blog

    By Blogger The Adventurer, At September 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

  • oo very cool! I got Sammy's handbook last night. We need to start working on his verse soon :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

  • I just sent you an email this morning to Thank you for the Awana printables!! We just got our books and vests last night. You should have seen my 4 year old with her little vest. She was so excited. Although Awanas wears me out. I am so tired the next day! I had a "Parent/Teacher Conf, planning day" with myself today! hehee. I wonder if I can make that a Thursday thing?? ;-)

    By Blogger Kelly, At September 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

  • I worked in AWANA for 25ish years (mostly in Cubbies). One thing that very few people seem to know is that every book from Cubbies through the 4th year of Truth and Training has a CD with all of the verses set to music.

    I ripped the CD's and put the verses that my kids were learning on their MP3 players.

    My son came up to me last night and said, "I just love these number songs." Then he put his Thingamapet up to my ear ... it was an AWANA verse song that he was listening too ... and he's already learned several verses!

    By Blogger Rachel, At September 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

  • What version do you use for your printables?

    By Blogger Carissa, At September 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

  • Carissa ~ NIV is the version for the Awana books that we use.

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At September 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

  • What version do you use for your printables?

    By Anonymous Carissa, At December 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

  • I am a little confused (as usual).
    Is the Hands On Bible somehow related to AWANA?
    Or are they just to separate resources that you recommend. We are doing AWANA too and find your printables a treasure! Thanks.

    By Anonymous Sharon, At December 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home