Homeschool Creations

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Homeschool Village ~ Instilling Patriotism

 

imageThe Homeschool Village is hosting another question/answer time today and the question is:

“How are you instilling a love for country during your homeschool time?”

Just in time for the 4th of July…

While we generally don’t do a lot of extra stuff during our homeschool time unless it’s a special occasion {i.e. during election time we studied about the presidents}, we have been talking more in general about our country with our children and I am so excited to start learning about early American history with them this year.

Before I put together our new calendar board I had a picture of our president up on the wall to pray for him every day. When I rearranged I took it down…and really need to print off another copy to put back up. Part of it was laziness on my part…and part irritation at specific leadership, which truthfully isn’t setting a good example to my kids about praying for our leadership, is it?

During our day we talk about things as they come up ~ our soldiers that serve to protect us and fight for the freedom that we have; respecting our leadership/government ~ even if we don’t agree with what they are doing; appreciating the freedoms that our country DOES allow us ~ and that other countries don’t allow.

There are many other things that we can do {that we don’t} to instill patriotism in our children. Will you leave a comment to share what you do with your family? I’ll be visiting the other ladies linking up to the Homeschool Village blog {go visit the new blog!!} to see what they do ~ but if you aren’t participating, leave a comment here too and share! :)

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • We take our kids to historical landmark like the Appomattox Courthouse. We have also visited different forts. Not only is it important to talk about the history, it is important to show them where it happened. :)

    By Blogger Joy, At July 1, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

  • Like you, we discuss as we go about our day. I'm also working on praying more for our government officials---and reminding myself that despite the issues I disagree on, we still have one of the best governments on earth!

    Have a blessed day! I'm linked up at The Homeschool Village.

    ~Jennifer

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

  • we have been working all week on putting together a 4th of July Lapbook for my 4 and 6 year old. I felt like thie year they were ready to learn more about our Country, Independence Day, and what is all means. It has been so much fun!

    By Blogger Megan Renae, At July 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

  • we have been working all week on putting together a 4th of July Lapbook for my 4 and 6 year old. I felt like thie year they were ready to learn more about our Country, Independence Day, and what is all means. It has been so much fun!

    By Blogger Megan Renae, At July 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

  • We have an American flag along with the Pledge of Allegiance on our school wall. We also journey though our Geography to different States. We have made sure that Selena knows she does live in the USA, and yes we pray for our government officials.

    By Blogger Debbie, At July 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

  • I love that you're praying for the leadership of the country - especially during the leadership mention. GREAT EXAMPLE!

    Thanks!
    Stef
    The Homeschool Village

    By Blogger Stef , At July 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home