Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Are You Using Windows Live Writer?

If you aren’t using it for your blogging, let me just tell you that you SHOULD be! Windows Live Writer has made blogging/posting so much easier for me and I am truly in love with the program! It is compatible with several blogging platforms {Blogger, Windows Live, Wordpress, LiveJournal, TypePad, and more}…but sorry to those of you who are Mac users. It isn’t compatible with Macs. :(

image 

Why do I love it so? Let me give you a few {or more} reasons:

1. I can blog anytime, anywhere without needing to be connected to the internet. All those post ideas swimming around in my head are saved as a draft in Live Writer and I can edit and add things when I think of more to add. This was a HUGE help to me when I was traveling and didn’t have constant access to the internet. I was able to write my posts and get them ready to go and then ‘publish’ them when I did have internet access.

2. I can post from multiple accounts. Live Writer allows me to create posts for all of my various blogger accounts. I don’t need to log into blogger, and with a simple click of a drop down menu I can switch accounts.

3. I can create template posts and use them as needed. There are certain posts of mine that use the same format. I love that I can click a button to pull a template that I’ve created/saved and all the same information pops up quickly without my needing to redo it all.

4. Photos and formatting is SO much easier! All it takes is a quick click of a button to add a photo, quickly resize it and even add watermarks and other special effects. When I publish a post, the picture automatically uploads to my Picasa account. This part alone has saved me so much time!

5. I can preview my posts. Live Writer offers the great feature of previewing your post so you can actually visualize what it will look like on your blog. This helps me see if there are any odd spacing issues before I actually post.

6. Editing after a post is up is simple! Live writer lets you ‘recall’ a post even after it has posted to your blog. Should I notice a spelling error {ahem} or anything else that needs to be fixed, I can do it quickly…and you all never even know!

7. My kids can also use it as part of their writing ~ without needing to be on the internet. Laurianna and McKenna both have blogs that are a part of my Blogger account. If they are online, they have access to my Blogger dashboard {and that could cause some unintentional problems!}. I have Live Writer set up on the kids computer so that they can blog away and publish to their own blog without even needing to be on the internet.

8. It’s FREE! Did I forget to mention that? When you download the program it comes with extra ‘add-ons’ that are unnecessary, so be sure to uncheck all the extra boxes when you download it.

9. I can add links quickly and easily to photos, text…anything. I can even specify that the link opens up in a new window.

If you'd like to see a video tutorial, Remarkable Blogger has a great Windows Live Writer tutorial.

What are you waiting for? I promise you it is a lovely, lovely thing…go check it out and have fun playing around with it! It is definitely something that Works for Me! If you are already using it, what are YOUR favorite features of Windows Live Writer?

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels: ,

35 Comments:

  • YES! I was recently introduced to Windows Live Writer by Joesette@LearningCurve. Love.It. I used it to merge my old blog (I was not thrilled about some major changes the host was making) to my new account with blogger. Within two long afternoons, I had two years worth of post merged onto my new site as if it had never been different! I’m also finding it nice to have multiple drafts going, uploading pic’s easier etc. I highly recommend it to everyone! FREE is great too :)

    By Blogger Jamerrill @ Holy Spirit-led Homeschooling, At June 9, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

  • Wow, I had this on my computer and had no idea! Thanks for helping me find it! :)

    By Blogger Christy, At June 9, 2010 at 6:33 AM  

  • I haven't used it yet. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

    By Blogger Christy Killoran, At June 9, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

  • Live Writer is the bomb!! I was introduced to it a lot of months ago.
    I was going to ask a question that you have already answered...is it compatible with other other platforms just in case I decided to switch hosts for my blog.
    Now that I see that it is, there is no stopping me now! LOL

    THE most appealing thing to me about Live Writer (and its all appealing)is the capability to use fonts that are funky, casual or formal (which I haven't done a formal post yet).

    By Blogger Kela, At June 9, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

  • Wow, the template idea is what makes me want to try it!

    By Blogger Erin, At June 9, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

  • I LOVE it too!

    My only problem is in Live Write it's got it set up as with an extra space between paragraphs that's not showing up in my blog, so I still have to go back and double check spacing from time to time.

    By Blogger Ticia, At June 9, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

  • I have the same problem as Ticia does with spacing.

    By Blogger Kela, At June 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

  • Okay going to try it out again tonight :-) See if I can fix some of my issues :-) Well posting issues that is :-P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At June 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

  • Windows Live Writer ROCKS!! Well, the program, not the installer. I switched to Vista and couldn't get it to install, I had to copy the files over from my XP box! ugh...working now though!! Yipee!!

    By Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler, At June 9, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Leptir, At June 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

  • I didn't install it yet, but I'll probably try it. Thanks for the recommendation :-)

    By Blogger Leptir (Nataša), At June 9, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

  • I use Live Writer also & I LOVE IT!! I have 2 blogs & I love that I can switch between the two so easily. I'm sure there are still things I need to figure out, like - I need to figure out how to create & save a template. I did not know about this feature. Thanks for posting this info!

    By Blogger Danielle @ We Have It All, At June 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

  • I love it as well! Its great. Do you have a post about how you made your buttons at the top with all the different categories?

    By Blogger Rebecca, At June 9, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

  • Thanks for the idea. I'm gonna try it!

    By Blogger Sarah, At June 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

  • I switched a month or so ago, and I blog more because of the ease with photos alone! I love the watermark, and photo tools too!

    By Blogger Sam, At June 9, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

  • @ Rebecca I was always wondering the same thing! I want the button 'bar' at the top of my blog too but I never knew where to begin with that! I guess I will settle for my 'labels' at the bottom of my page for now :(

    By Blogger Danielle @ We Have It All, At June 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

  • I'll have to try it again. I was having some trouble figuring it all out a few months ago when I tried it, but I've written a bunch more posts through blogger now and getting frustrated with the interface, specifically relating to pictures. Thanks for the recommendation, off to write another post through Live Writer :)

    By Blogger Sela, At June 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM  

  • Yes, I found out about and downloaded it earlier this week and I love it, too, except for one major glitch: when I click publish it gives me an error message! So, I have been unable to actually post anything using it! But I love to prepare my posts and then copy them over in order to post--I know, I know, that's cumbersome, (and I won't be doing it long, I can promise you!) I saw another place which said publish post or something, and maybe I've been clicking on the wrong button, but you wouldn't think they'd have two places that both look like the publish button.
    I'm going to keep trying, though, because I do love all the features. (And I will watch the tutorial:)
    Blessings,
    Wendy
    Faith's Firm Foundation

    By Blogger Wendy, At June 9, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

  • I tried it out now, did a post on my blog, and wow, what a difference! Much thanks!

    By Blogger Erin, At June 9, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

  • I too love Live Writer! But I had NO IDEA I could recall and alter a post!!! I can't wait to try that one!

    By Blogger Lori, At June 9, 2010 at 7:18 PM  

  • Thanks for this post. I have this on my new computer and didn't know what it was for! I've posted a "test run" to try it out. Pretty neat.

    By Blogger Shannon, At June 9, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

  • I've been using it for months and really love it! So much easier to use! Blogger used to frustrate me when I'd try to upload pictures. Live Writer makes it easy as pie!

    By Blogger Michelle ~ Blogging from the Boonies, At June 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

  • Thanks! Did not know about this and just set up blogs for my older 2 sons and one is linked to my blogger acct, which I was trying to figure how to handle best. Gonna check this out!

    By Blogger The Clever Kid, At June 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

  • I have been using Live Writer since I began blogging about a year ago - it is awesome! However, I can not for the life of me, figure out how to create a template post like you mentioned - is there a quick answer? Otherwise I will go check out that tutorial. :)

    By Blogger Nicole {tired, need sleep}, At June 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

  • Hey, thanks for the recommendation! I decided to try it out because anything that makes blogging faster and easier has got to be a good thing! I've published one post so far with Live Writer, but there are a few things I couldn't figure out. One, my signature no longer shows up automatically on a post. I had to manually paste it in. Also, I can't seem to make single-spaced lists. If I hit the enter key, it automatically double-spaces, and I can't find any way to change that. Am I missing something? Anyway, I do love it so far--just need to work with it a bit more I guess.

    By Blogger Debbie, At June 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

  • @Debbie - If you figure out the 'double spacing' issue...fill me in please :)
    Thanks!

    By Blogger Danielle @ We Have It All, At June 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

  • I use this too--but how do you made post templates???

    By Blogger Unknown, At June 10, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

  • Wow! Thanks so much for sharing this and the link to the tutorial, too! I'm amazed at how user-friendly this looks!

    By Blogger Carrie, At June 11, 2010 at 12:17 AM  

  • If you have linux as their OS like me then it seem that you can't use it either. At least that's seem to be the case. It looks as if it's for "window" only users :(

    By Blogger Nichole "Nikki" Warren, At June 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

  • awesome! Thanks for the tip! I am going to have to check it out. I especially like the idea of the template. Anything to save me time is great!!!

    By Blogger Annette, At June 11, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

  • thank you thank you thank you!!!! this has already saved me so much time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Wilson Ramblings, At June 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM  

  • Ticia and Kela-
    RE: extra space between paragraphs.

    Try Shift + Enter for better control of white space.

    Cheers

    By Anonymous AlanM, At June 17, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

  • Ticia and Kela-
    RE: extra space between paragraphs.

    Try Shift + Enter for better control of white space.

    Cheers

    By Anonymous AlanM, At December 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

  • YES! I was recently introduced to Windows Live Writer by Joesette@LearningCurve. Love.It. I used it to merge my old blog (I was not thrilled about some major changes the host was making) to my new account with blogger. Within two long afternoons, I had two years worth of post merged onto my new site as if it had never been different! I’m also finding it nice to have multiple drafts going, uploading pic’s easier etc. I highly recommend it to everyone! FREE is great too :)

    By Anonymous Jamerril, At December 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

  • Thanks for this post. I have this on my new computer and didn't know what it was for! I've posted a "test run" to try it out. Pretty neat.

    By Anonymous Shannon, At December 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home