Homeschool Creations

Friday, March 12, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ An Ordinary Week

Quick Note ~ If you downloaded the Skip Counting Charts I mentioned last week,  you might want to download them again. There were a few errors {ahem} that I fixed. I apologize for those of you who printed them off {the 4’s, 10’s and 11’s pages were the issues if that helps}. I especially apologize to Carisa who had already LAMINATED them. :)

The weather outside this week was GORGEOUS, so there was much incentive to complete schoolwork and be able to play. To soak up every possible minute, we even moved school outside for a little bit. Zachary and I spent time sitting together on our porch swing to read together. :) THOSE are the moments of homeschooling that I really do love!

Overall, we didn’t do anything super-exciting this week. Same old, same old routine. The basic subjects… just plugging along a little more at a time.

Bible

Zachary finished memorizing the Books of the New Testament and is now working on John 3:14. We’re talking about Moses and the Israelites and their time in the wilderness.

The kids are also having fun watching some new DVDs created by Phil Vischer called What’s in the Bible? {p.s. I have a giveaway for two of the dvd’s going on here!! ~ ends Sunday, March 14th!}.

Handwriting

We’re reviewing some things ~ matching uppercase and lowercase letters {we had fun using our uppercase/lowercase letter matching cards  found here}. This week was HUGE for Zachary in this area. We’ve been working on using only a capital ‘Z’ and the rest of his name in lowercase letters, but keeping them all ‘within the lines’ can be pretty non-existent. This week he sat down and worked independently ~ and did amazing on it.

Yep, it was a one shot deal, but he was so very proud {and so was Mommy!}.

Math

Telling Time ~ Our skip counting charts {we’ve been working on the 5’s} have really been paying off, especially when it comes to telling time. Zachary is now working on telling time in 5 minute increments.

Money ~ Zachary is also in charge of our ‘money chart’ on our daily calendar now. We’re working on remembering the values of the penny, nickel, and dime.

Addition ~ Simple addition up to 9. He likes to use his fingers, but is getting better with the lower addition facts to do it in his head.

Identifying number names ~ Zachary used our number cards to match numbers with their word names {from 1 to 10 so far}.

Reading

There are times when Zachary {and I} get completely frustrated in this arena. One day reading is a most enjoyable time and others….well, Mommy might as well just go back to bed. :) That said, early in the week I just wanted to cry in frustration with the attitudes ~ so we just let it go. Two days later, Zachary picked up the Rocket Phonics books we’ve been using and read me a TON in the book, laughing and smiling the whole time.

We won’t tell him that he ended up reading way more than I had planned for him that week anyway…

He also read some to me from his Beehive Reader and was VERY excited when a NEW reader showed up this week! We also had fun playing with our Flip Along Fun book ~ don’t miss the giveaway that I have going on right now too along with a great discount code!

Spelling

We reviewed one of our recent spelling lessons to make sure that we’ve got a few concepts covered. I’m working on a few printables to go along with our lessons, since Zachary was a little ‘jealous’ of some playdough mats that I made for Kaleb this week. I’ll hopefully have some put together to share with you all soon!

 

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.
  Photobucket

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • I am with you mama on the reading -my preschooler is good at reading he just gets fusterated quickly & then shuts down & starts whinning. That's when I have to really ask God for patience because I start to get just as fusterated. The beauty of homeschooling is that we can take our time! Have a great weekend! :)

    By Blogger Mama to 5, At March 12, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

  • Thanks for the printables! I need to go through all of them again to see if there are more we could use.

    Hey, are you going to be starting a 5K Corner--had to ask:-).

    I hope it's ok to link up my weekly wrap-ups the way I do instead of an individual 4K post. Guess I should reread the link up rules:-).

    By Blogger Susana, At March 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

  • It's interesting how every child is different. Anna is truly a super-reader, but is extremely frustrating with writing and resists it completely. I am looking forward to your suggestions on spelling and letter formations.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At March 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM  

  • Wow! I thought your site was full of resorces already, but now I've found the resource pages you linked to in you post today. Thanks!One question though: How do I get to the numbers page, or even the alphabet page without going through the link on this post? I couldn't find it through the Preschool Resources site.
    Rose (camiesmom2@yahoo.com)

    By Blogger Mississippi Rose, At March 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM  

  • Rose ~ The links on the page should take you to my preschool pages on my website where all of my printables are listed. If you scroll down the page a little, you should see a thumbnail image of the documents ~ click on the picture and it will open up the pdf file for you to print off. :)

    Here's a link to the math/numbers page: http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/preschoolmath.html

    And a link to the alphabet page: http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/preschoolalphabet.html

    My main website is http://homeschoolcreations.com . :) All of the preschool printables will be linked to pages based on their 'subject' and you can find them from the main landing page. Any that can go in two different areas I'm trying to sort that way too! :) Here is the main printable page: http://www.homeschoolcreations.com/preschoolprintables.html

    Hope that helps ~ let me know if you have any other questions. I'm working like crazy to keep up with school time, posting on the blog and getting the website fully running! :)

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At March 12, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

  • I will wait a little longer next time to LAMINATE the printouts!!! Just Kidding - the fact that you do them and make them available to us is so beyond the cost of 2 laminating sheets!!! Lovin what you do!!
    Love ya girlfriend!

    By Blogger Julie, At March 12, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

  • I'm glad you are enjoying the weather. We had a nice week last week, but still too cold to really enjoy being outside. Really hoping for warmer weather soon! Thanks again for the printables! I am hopefully going to laminate and start them this coming week.

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At March 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

  • I thought of you this weekend as I drove through your next of the woods! I couldn't help but to day dream of you and your beautiful family playing one of the wonderful farms (of course you probably don't live on a farm...it was just part of the romantic day dream)
    Have a great week!

    By Blogger Lori, At March 15, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

  • Hello,
    I just linked up to Preschool Corner for the first time. I hope I did it correctly.
    Thank you for all the great ideas.
    Dorothy
    (Dottie's Universe)

    By Blogger Dottie, At March 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home