Homeschool Creations

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Preschool Corner: Letter L

This week I'll be sharing about our preschool fun studying the letter "L" and at the end of the post you will find Mr. Linky so that you can participate too in the fun by sharing what you've been doing during your preschool time.

We focused a lot of our letter activities on ladybugs this week, enough that we put together a little lapbook for Zachary, his first, so he was VERY excited! He wanted me to write his name a special title on it, so that I did: Zachary's little, tiny lapbook.

ABC Page

The alphabet book page for the letter "L" was a Ladybug. I took the easy way out and cut the pieces out of construction paper instead of adding paint to the mix this week. I figured we had enough going on and red paint + Zachary might = a big mess.

Ladybug Thumbprints

These little ladybugs turn out so cute! I used one of my scrapbooking inkpads and let Zachary use his thumb/fingerprint to make the little ladybugs all over the paper. Then we used a pen to put dots on our ladybugs along with antennaes and legs.

Fun Activities: Ladybug Lapbook

We put our ladybug learning onto paper and added the pieces to our lapbook. We made a wheel on the lifecycle of a ladybug, played an alphabet matching game using uppercase and lowercase letters, and learned the parts of a ladybug.


To make the lapbook, I cut a red manila file folder in half and then glued in the mini-books when we were done, just to keep it as simple as possible. Since we didn't have enough room inside our book for all of the books, we put our "following directions" mini-book on the front cover. Here are the links to the mini-books that we used:

Math: Lollipop patterns, Lines, and More

First we had a little fun drawing lines: curvy, straight, up/down, left/right. Then we worked on following directions and added this part to our ladybug lapbook. We counted how many ladybugs there were, added spots, antennae and colored the ladybugs by following the directions.


Since lollipop also starts with the letter "L", I made up some little lollipop cards, cut them out and we used them to make different patterns. I would start the pattern and Zachary would finish it until we ran out of cards. He really enjoys figuring out patterns, so this isn't much of "work" for him. :)


Here are the pattern cards that I made ~ click on the thumbnail to download the pdf file


totally tots


Letter Sheet Collage
L Worksheet



Verse

Matthew 5:16- "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.." After all the trouble we had learning the 5 words in the verse, wouldn't it figure that he can almost completely quote this verse? Go figure.

Writing

We practiced our letter writing this week using Peterson Directed handwriting. It's a handwriting curriculum that we're trying out with just Zachary right now (stay tuned because I'll keep you posted on how it's working for us).

Rhymes

Lazy Mary Will You Get Up?

Little Bo Peep

Little Boy Blue

Little Jack Horner


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Thank you so much for the lapbook idea, I love lapbooks, such a fun way to teach them

    By Blogger Clemencia, At December 12, 2008 at 7:47 PM  

  • There are so many amazing things to do for school! I am overwhelmed! Neat ideas! I'm happy to share my first post!

    ~Michelle

    P.S. I hope I used your Preschool Corner side Bar correctly - is it supposed to link back to your site if you click on it? Mine doesn't, but I see that it has your link on it.

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At December 12, 2008 at 11:46 PM  

  • I know this is a past post but I wanted to thank you for the link to Homeschool Share. We has used the site in the past when I did BFAIR with my oldest son and I did not seen this information a their site before. I must have missed it. Now thanks to you, I can do these activities with my sons. We are doing the Letter L this week.

    By Blogger Sandra, At May 12, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home