India for Kids ::Week 2::
- Mapping of India - more detailed than what we did last week. We also focused on the surrounding countries and bodies of water. I made a map worksheet for this (below) that you can also download.
- Henna tattos - the girls had a lot of fun watching Indian brides get the intricate tattoos before their wedding and also watching parts of different wedding ceremonies.
- Peacocks - we found a short little video clip about them and also found a great info sheet to learn more about them. The girls also spent some time on the easel painting their own peacock (do you recognize it in the slideshow above?).
- William Carey - missionary to India
- India's money - the rupee and the paise. I made an information sheet about them (you can click on the thumbnail link below if you would like to download it).
- Cooking - the girls helped me make a chicken curry dish (yum) along with Naan bread
- Taj Mahal - We studied who had it designed and why it was built. We also found a short video clip to see a little more of it
- Learned about rangoli - a form of Indian art. We used colored rice to design our own patterns.
Some of the books that we used this week
- DLTK - Rangoli designs and ideas on making your own
- PBS - Pictures and information on the Taj Mahal
- Indian Bridal Henna art - You Tube video showing how the art is applied
- National Geographic - short video clip about the peacock
- National Geographic - printable page on the peacock