Homeschool Creations

Thursday, April 28, 2011

April Garden Update ~ HSV Garden Challege

imageAlthough we don’t have anything planted in the garden yet, we have made progress!! The window boxes have all been hung up on our deck {thanks to my wonderful hubby} and thanks to one of my lovely readers, we’re planning on doing Square Foot Gardening this year!

They look so small and pitiful in that part of the yard, but I can see them from our bathroom window…which will in turn remind me to water the garden every day.

garden boxes

Once I got the bug to do it, I had my hubby pick up the lumber and Laurianna and I worked on building the boxes for the two 4x4 garden beds that we’ll be planting in. We covered the bottom with the anti-weed covering and also chicken wire to keep out any pesky diggers coming up from underneath.

The hardest thing to find was the vermiculite for the soil mix. When we went to Lowes to pick up some bags, they suggested that we check with our local pool company since they often use vermiculite in their mix for pool bottoms.

So I did. Want to hear something funny?

I brought home the bags and we were going to mix it with the other parts of the recommended soil mix and my hubby realized that the bags I had purchased had CONCRETE IN THEM! It’s a good thing that he reads the labels…and double checks what I do.

That would have been GREAT in the garden, no? I’m sure I would have had much progress to report next month after the first watering. :)

Our window boxes need to have the soil replaced in them also, since what is popping up now has nothing to do with the plants that I would like to have in there, and everything to do with weeds.

20110426-IMG_9704

Still to do this month:

~ plant seeds and pick up other plants from nursery for window boxes, front porch planters and garden beds.

~ put 'fencing’ of some sort around the garden beds to keep out all of the pesky critters that want to make my food their own personal buffet.

~ build up one extra bed for herbs at the side of our house.

~ start plotting some other beds either for this year or next year {depending on my ambitions}

Be sure to stop by The Homeschool Village and see the progress other  participants have made in their gardens along with the Garden Challenge!

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home