Homeschool Creations

Friday, March 5, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Calendar Time

I plan on doing a full post in a bit to show how we do calendar time with all of our kiddos in the morning, but wanted to share a few of the ‘preschool’ targeted resources that we are doing this week. Our kids range in age from 3 to 8 so we have a little something for everyone, but there is a definite ‘trickle-down’ effect in what the younger ones pick up while the older ones are doing things.

We review our calendar and board daily. I’ve found our calendar is a great tool for working on the obvious {days of the week, months of the year, and counting from 1-30}, but we also use it to work on other concepts ~ patterns, identify letters, counting down to a special event, etc…

Our calendar hangs on one wall in our dining room ~ you know you all are super jealous of the painter’s tape holding the month title up on the wall. Try to contain yourself {grins}.

IMG_3279

March is one of those tough months for our pattern cards. When Easter falls in March we use some little bunny cutouts that are pink on one side and white on the other and I let Zachary pick the pattern for the month {i.e. white, white, pink or white/pink/white/pink} and we follow that pattern for the month. This month we’re using a shamrock with a number card.

Our calendar routine usually goes a little something like this:

  • What number and color come next in the pattern
  • What day of the week is it?
  • Put the number card in and count up to that number
  • Sing the days of the week song
  • What month is it? spell it out {it starts with a capital letter}
  • What is the date? Thursday, March 4th
  • Maybe sing the months of the year song. :)

We then move on to another board on a nearby wall. Zachary doesn’t do all of the things on this, but there are several things that he does along with the girls. I PROMISE I’ll be doing a post on the rest of the layout of our board, but the current ‘Zachary-focused’ activities are in the top center of the board {skip counting}, top right {weekly Bible verse} and also the bottom right {weather}.

IMG_3273

Each week Zachary has a different verse that we focus on from Awana {he is using Sparks book 1}  and his verse is in the top right corner {right now he is learning the books of the New Testament}.

skip counting thumbnail 2 click on the thumbnail to download

The Skip Counting Charts are something that I put together recently for our kids. I have one for all of the numbers going up to 12, but right now we’re working on counting by 5’s {which he did all the way up to 60 today}. We are doing 5’s so that he can grasp the value of nickels and count them out on his own.

weather graph 1 weather graph 2 weather graph 3 weather graph 4 weather graph 5

 

 

The weather graph on the bottom lets us track the weather for 5 days and see how many different types of weather we had that week {rainy, stormy, overcast, sunny, snowy, partly cloudy and windy}.

So…in a not-so-much-nutshell, those are a few of the things we are doing during our calendar/morning time. I’m hoping to share a little more in the next few days with you all too, but for now ~ link up and tell me what you are doing with your preschoolers!

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.
 
 
Photobucket

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

  • You constantly amaze me with the printables that you make! I wish I knew more about the programs we have on our Mac!

    In the meantime....thanks for another great week of ideas!

    By Blogger Lori, At March 5, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

  • Great Jolanthe. We've added Calendar Time/Circle Time to our morning routine and I had on my list to make some skip counting charts, now I don't have to. Thanks so much!!

    By Blogger Kylie, At March 5, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

  • This is so helpful. Thank you very much:) Happy Friday!

    By Blogger Elle, At March 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

  • I have been doing circle time at my home daycare with my toddlers & preschoolers and you've given me some more great idea's to add to it! Thanks for sharing =)

    By Anonymous Shannon, At March 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM  

  • I love all of the things you can learn with a calendar! I might need to put one into play for next year! I am totally jealous of the painters tape! Where did you get your calendar?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Riceball Artist, At March 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

  • I love your calendar, and the board, especially the weather graph. Where did you get the base of your calendar? That is really neat and I wouldn't mind trying to make one myself.

    By Blogger Riceball Artist, At March 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

  • Thank you for the wonderful ideas. I have been wondering I wanted to set up an area for predicting the weather, since Selena is trying to do this every day now as Spring approaches.

    We have used a homemade calendar to help teach the concept of counting, I need to step it up to the days of the week.

    I like the print out you made for counting by 5's. I may just have to download this for Selena.

    By Blogger Debbie, At March 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

  • I love your second board. I am excited for the post on that! I am definitely going to make one. I have just been using a regular old wall calendar, yours is so much nicer. As always, great ideas found here. Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, At March 5, 2010 at 11:11 AM  

  • I really need to get back into doing calendar, you're right there are so many wonderful things you can learn from it.

    By Blogger Ticia, At March 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

  • LOVE LOVE LOVE the skip counting! I forget that children need to "see" things that may seem obvious to me, like skip counting!

    Downloaded and on the laminator!Thanks! :o)

    By Blogger Confessions Of A Homeschooler, At March 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

  • I LOVE the skip counting charts. I just copied them off to use with my daughter. We had been using a 1-100 chart and marking the different jumps with counting items, but this is so much better. Thank you!

    By Blogger Mindy, At March 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

  • I've run a home daycare for more than 20 years...My morning Circle time is very familiar to your Calendar routine.

    sing morning song (two of them). Go through the Calendar. Have children repeat the month, date, day and year. Sing days of the week, months of the year. Season, weather, yesterday was, today is and tomorrow will be. Colours, counting, Letter of the week song, ABC spoken and also done in sign (I"m teaching the children sign also). Than we sing songs that go with the Theme of the week and than read a book...than off to do a craft with them...

    By Blogger Angela, At March 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

  • I would love to know more about the second board you have up! Do you use foam core board? I think I also see sheet protectors???
    I have been needing a more formal way to practice AWANA Cubbies verses. This is perfect for that. We have a calendar just like your but it is in the basement and we don't go down there everyday.Perhaps i will bring it up and plaster it above the fireplace to get me to actually do it! Thanks for motivating me.

    By Blogger Shaper of Little Souls, At March 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

  • This is an excellent review of the calendar time and thanks for the printables. I love visiting your blog!

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At March 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

  • Thanks so much for sharing the great ideas! I've been meaning to work on our calendar time and this fits the bill perfectly!

    One question: Where can I get the graphic for Today's Temperature? I've been looking all around and haven't been able to find anything like that.

    By Blogger Grace Whisperer, At March 5, 2010 at 10:29 PM  

  • This is great!

    I really, really miss linking up to the Preschool Corner. It was such a motivator to keep me posting. I think you need to make this for 5 year olds too. (smile) It could be a 4K/5K corner. ???

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At March 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

  • Thank you for the skip counting printables. I am getting ready for this with Joe.

    By Blogger Susana, At March 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

  • Hi there, I just stumbled upon your site this morning. I am a stay-at-home Mother of two young girls 3 and 1. I've been considering home schooling our girls for a little while since I've decided to not go back to work and I've started a home daycare since. What school 'curriculum' are using? I'd love to use a Christian approach to homeschooling. Any advice from you would be much appreciated.
    Jo B. from Drdyen. Can you please email me back at bancroft_jo@yahoo.ca

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 9, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

  • Hi,
    Where did you find you Temperature chart. I am trying to find something similar to teach my 2 kids about reading thermometers. Could you pass that infor on to me.
    Anna-Marie

    By Blogger The Adventurer, At September 10, 2010 at 4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home