Homeschool Creations

Friday, September 25, 2009

Preschool Corner: All About 'Bb'


While I have my lesson plans from last year and I know that the kids are not the same...for some reason I am feeling the need to do things 'new' and 'different' this year.

Go figure.

It was a full day though and we had a lot of fun stuff going in the classroom ~ playing and making messes.

Alphabet Book

This year's alphabet page craft was different than our bumblebee from last year. I had all the pieces cut out and then got a great idea for another craft {also bee related}, so I ended up cutting and creating a different page for the alphabet book ~ a boat. Not just any boat, mind you.



A brown boat with a blue sail in the blue water.

'Cause I'm all about the letter 'Bb', I am! If you're going to do it ~ might as well go overboard {there was really no pun intended on that...}.

You'll need:

~ Brown and blue construction paper
~ Glue sticks
~ 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper {you can print off the alphabet book if you'd like!}

To Make:

{Note: I cut out all the pieces ahead of time since we have a short amount of time and a lot to do ~ otherwise I would recommend letting the kids cut out their own shapes!}

1. Trace a boat shape, a triangle and a 'wave' pattern out for your child.
2. Let your cut out the pieces for the boat.
3. Glue the water and boat onto your paper.

Art



After last week's alligator craft, I wanted to keep the theme going of making a craft that is shaped like the letter we are studying. Since I also have an overabundance of foam sheets from the Dollar Tree, I have been using those ~ and they are a little more sturdy than construction paper.

The Bee 'Bb' was the result of my efforts. :) If you'd like more specifics on how to make it, you can find direction in my 'Bb' is for Bee Craft post.



We also had fun making 'Bandaid Butterflies' that I found over at No Time for Flashcards. Cheap ol' bandaids at the Dollar Tree in some great funky colors made it fun, fun, fun.

Cooking ~ Blueberry and Banana Smoothies



There wasn't much cooking involved - just blending! :) I hauled the blender in and we made banana and blueberry smoothies. Want to try them too?

You'll Need:

~ 1/2 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen
~ 1 banana {peeled, of course!}
~ 1 1/2 cups of milk
~ sweetener to taste {we used a few tablespoons of sugar}
~ ice to thicken

Drop it all in the blender and enjoy!

Game

We played a quick game of "I Spy" or find...and looked around our room to see what we could find that started with the letter 'B'. Here's what we found {and I borrowed this great idea from Carisa at 1+1+1=1 ~ her color 'I Spy' is wonderful!!}:



Math



Balancing and Estimating. I brought my scales in, along with my counting bears and we checked to see if bears of different colors weighed the same, compared the weight of bears to blocks, counted, sorted....and had fun learning.

Songs and Rhymes


We used a bee puppet during our circle time and sang a fun little song:

Do You Like to Buzz?
sing to: "Do Your Ears Hang Low"

Do you like to buzz?
Are you covered all in fuzz?
Do you call a hive a home
In the garden where you roam?
Do you like to make honey
Are your stripes a little funny?
Do you like to buzz?


Additional Resources

Be sure to check out another one of my posts for some more ideas for teaching the letter 'B' - there are some different activities and printables in that post too!

Stories & Books We Used:



About the Preschool Corner:

The Preschool Corner is a place for us to share the ideas we are using during our "preschool time" with our kids. You can join in the fun and record what you are doing in your house. Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below (if you have questions feel free to ask). Be sure to link back to this blog post so that your readers can find some other great ideas too!

The guidelines can be found here if you need them.

Share what you've been doing in your house this week!



Photobucket

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

  • Thanks for your site. Great ideas and resources to help me with Tot school and preparation for homeschooling. Thanks so much!!

    By Blogger bargainwoman, At September 25, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

  • What great ideas. I especially like the idea of the Bandaid Butterflies! I have to remember that one, I think Selena would get a kick out of a project like that.

    By Blogger Debbie, At September 25, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

  • I love your ideas - you are an awesome teacher. I might try those band-aid butterflies when we get to our butterfly theme.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At September 25, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

  • Love the I-spy idea!

    By Blogger Goat Gal, At September 25, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

  • You're an awesome Mom and Teacher. I know they are loving those days with you, and they'll look back later, and I'm certain they'll "be" extremely thankful!Blessings!

    By Blogger Kathy, At September 25, 2009 at 4:02 PM  

  • I love the boat! My littlest and I are in the middle of learning about B, so we will definitely make that next week!
    A few days ago we found a Bucket and gathered all sorts of 'B' items from the play room.

    By Blogger Amy, At September 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

  • I found your blog recently and have loved stopping by for a visit. You are my kinda gal! But more organized and creative than I probably ever will be ; ) I just had to share for your "B" week. We keep 3 hives of bees and I have some good pics of the bees, the inside of the hives and a short video of inside of the hive. We like to call it our "bee movie!" http://dayindayoutdayupdaydown.blogspot.com/search/label/Bees

    Enjoy!

    By Blogger Melissa @ Half Dozen Mama, At September 25, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

  • Love your B week and alphabet book page! We do A Blue B with Black dots and Brown Bears I punch out with a tiny shaped Bear Puncher. :)

    but we might have to add that boat page it would go perfect with the blue boat book!

    By Blogger Gidget Girl Reading, At September 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

  • Makes me want to start over our alphabet!! LOVE your letter B ideas! Those bandaid butterfly are too cool!

    By Blogger Christie, At September 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

  • We did letter Bb this week too! I wish I would have had more of your ideas :) We absolutely LOVED the Bb is for Bee craft, thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Amber, At September 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM  

  • It is certainly interesting for me to read this blog. Thank author for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 18, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home