Homeschool Creations

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tot School ::31::


~ Kaleb is 34 months ~

Out of all the things that happened this week, the most exciting thing happened while we were sitting at the dinner table. Kaleb started telling us the sounds that different letters make. We pulled out some letter cards and went through the entire deck and he gave the sound for 20 out of the 26 letters.

Before you think I drill Kaleb the majority of the day {believe me it was a huge surprise to us!!}, I can honestly say it was all thanks to one little green dude {and no, he doesn't watch it all day long - usually every other day over the last 2 weeks or so}.



We can say this for certain because when he saw the letter 'W' he said, 'wuh, wuh, wuh, happy dude' - and we just started cracking up. I *heart* LeapFrog.

During the week, here a few things that we did:

Kaleb thought he was big stuff being able to get up on Laurianna's bed and spend some time reading with her.



We pulled out our felt board {just a piece of felt that I glued to the back of our white board} and Kaleb had fun sticking shapes up on the board. We had him put them up by colors, pull off ones as he identified them and line them up in a rainbow pattern.



If you look super close you'll see that there are alphabet letters in the rice box. Such grand plans Mommy had for this...and then Kaleb decided not to cooperate. A few days later I found the rice box on my bed {with rice everywhere} and Kaleb had pulled it out and dumped all the letters back out to play with. Now there is rice in my bed.



We borrowed some nesting dolls from my mom since Kaleb has been fascinated by them. I'm not sure what it is about them, but he loves them and will play with them every day.



Kaleb loves to stack and knock things down. The pegboard cracks him up since the pegs start leaning when they get too high.



That's all for pictures this week - and I am bound and determined to confiscate that binky of his so that the pictures are at least binky free next week! :) Don't forget to visit Carissa at 1+1+1=1 for some more Tot School posts.

Photobucket

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

  • I dont think my son has watched Letter factory, hmmm, maybe ill give it a try?

    By Blogger Rebecca, At August 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

  • My daughter learned the sounds the letters make from "The Letter Factory" too. I thought she might pick up a few things, but I was amazed at how fast she caught on. She hasn't watched it for a while, but she still knows all the sounds so it really stuck with her.

    By Blogger Sheena, At August 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM  

  • Ohhh, we LOVE the Letter Factory, too! Maddie calls it her "Baby Tad movie" and asks to watch it frequently (and then I walk around all day singing the song in my head... Ha!). Love the idea of the rice box. We've been REALLY into our sand tray, and I thin she'd LOVE a variation on that. How fun to hide things, too. I used to do this with a bowl of teeny-tiny pasta but that was months ago.

    Anyway, great week and I'm off to add white rice to my shopping list! :)

    -Jill

    By Blogger Our Little Family, At August 30, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

  • The b says buh the b says buh every letter makes a sound and b says buh.
    Also a Letter Factory Fan!
    I think the rice box idea was pretty cool. Sorry that you ended up sleeping in rice though.

    By Blogger Goat Gal, At August 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

  • Looks like you guys had a fun week! I LOVE the letter factory too! We just started watching the Word Factory and really like that too.

    By Blogger The Activity Mom, At August 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

  • I need to pop in the Letter Factory more often! I think I'll make some felt shapes too.

    By Blogger Denise, At August 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

  • I've seen several people talk about the letter factory- I have to buy that!

    I'm glad to see a binky in Kaleb's mouth. It makes me happy to know my daughter isn't the only one who still uses one :) (She's also 34 months.)

    By Blogger Melanie, At August 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

  • Add me to the list of Letter Factory fans... oh, and Talking Word Factory fans, and Code Word Caper fans,... ok, add me to the list of Math Circus fans, too.

    My 8yo learned all of his letter sounds by watching Letter Factory. One day he just came into the kitchen and said, "k...k...kick" He thought it was hilarious. And then, when quizzed, we discovered he had learned all of his sounds... and like Kaleb, after only watching the DVD a few times.

    Word Factory was great when he got a bit older and was starting to learn CVC words.

    We LOVE these DVDs... the toys, not so much, but that's another story for another time. Think Grandma who shopped the Leap Frog preschool toy day on QVC... and two little boys who found it more fun to push lots of buttons as fast as they could to "trip up" the toy...

    By Blogger Jennifer, At August 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

  • We also a HUGE LOVERS of Leap Frog videos....We have the ALL four that I know are avaiable!!! My 4yr old is the same way with know ing what most fo the letters say...LOVE THAT!!

    We also have the peg board from Discovery toys..and yep there is something about boys building stuff up only to knock it over!!!

    Good luck with that pacifer situation!!! I think you are safe to say it's time for it to go :)

    I will pray for your upcoming week!

    By Blogger The Gaertegang Homestead, At August 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

  • I love the rice box idea! How much rice did you put in there? What size box did you use?

    By Blogger Madonna, At August 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

  • I love the letters in the rice idea - I think we'll be doing that this week. Hope I don't end up with rice in my bed!:)

    By Blogger Nicole {tired, need sleep}, At August 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

  • That Leap Frog Letter Factory is amazing! That is how my son learned the sounds of his letters!

    That's too funny about the rice...sounds like something that would happen at our house!

    By Blogger Kellie, At August 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

  • I must get my hands on that Letter Factory dvd! Sounds right up Pufferfish's alley! I love all of your other projects! The rice box looks like so much fun, but I get in trouble for doing rice things at home because the kids get it all over the floor and we are walking on rice for weeks!

    By Anonymous Nicki, At August 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

  • Go Leap Frog, we love that DVD too! Oh dear with the rice, good luck getting it all out of yoru bed. :)

    By Blogger Kylie, At August 31, 2009 at 4:01 AM  

  • We love the Leap Frog videos. My oldest learned all of his letters and sounds from watching it a few times. My youngest is now surprising me by saying a few of his sounds as well. I ordered the word factory and it is on it's way.

    I like the felt shapes. I really need to get some kind of a felt board.

    By Blogger meredith, At August 31, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

  • Great week...I love the peg board, my mom used to have one of them but we can't find the pegs for it. Emily loved when I put the letters in the rice bucket. She would fish for them and then put them in another bowl. I need to get myself together and make a felt board for Emily. I see so many great ideas using them!

    By Blogger Michelle, At August 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

  • i totally heart letter factory too- that is my number one favorite educational video.... my 21 month old daughter learned letters and sounds in less than a month thanks to that video (and some alphabet days with mommy, too)

    By Blogger Keri, At August 31, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

  • You can buy blank wooden nesting dolls at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You should get a set and let him paint them.

    I am so not laughing about the rice in your bed! Better than yogurt under your pillow.

    By Blogger kw, At August 31, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

  • I loved your pictures, Kaleb is so cute. You would think that I should have a set of nesting dolls - after all, they are one of those famous Russian souvenirs. Maybe it's something to "suggest" to my family back home as a gift to Anna :)

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At September 1, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home