Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Our {Getting There} Routine

Several of you have asked about our day and how it basically shapes up. If you would have asked me two weeks ago...well, let's just say that it looks a lot different today and we're still working out the kinks.

We started out doing a few things in the morning and then the bulk of our school in the afternoon, but it just wasn't working and I was about zilch on the productive scale around the house. After the first week I was extremely frustrated and decided to revamp the schedule and try to get the majority of school done in the morning.

We're in our second week of the 'new' schedule and it's working out much better. Our afternoons are free for me to do some things around the house {dinner prep, bread, laundry, etc...} and also to do fun stuff with the kids {games, more 1:1 time}. I'm able to relax a little more and just enjoy it ~ and that's half the battle. :)

This is a peek at our current day routine:

7:30 - 8:00 Kids have breakfast & get dressed. Depending on the morning, I'll sit with them and read a chapter from a book to them {right now we are reading through the Narnia series}. Essentially, when they are eating they are too busy chewing to talk, so it's fairly quiet reading. :)

8:00 - 8:30 Chores/Get ready for the day. They have five things to do before we start school time: Get dressed. Make their bed. Brush teeth and hair. Pick up their room. Choose an extra chore {start a load of laundry, vaccuum, sweep, clean up the bathroom, etc...}.

8:30 - 9:00 Independent work. The girls work on their handwriting sheet and math while I work with Zachary on his math and handwriting. We're all sitting at the table together if they have questions. Kaleb is also at the table with us usually coloring or working on an activity that I have for him.

9:00 - 9:30 Spelling and Language - I work with the girls on language every day and Zachary usually listens in on what we are doing. I alternate teaching the girls and Zachary spelling {girls are M/W and Zachary is Tu/Th - while I work with one, the others will play a game/workbox activity}. When we are doing spelling Kaleb likes to sit with us on the floor and play with the letters too. :) Otherwise, I have him near me working on something in his boxes ~ stringing beads, stacking blocks, or working with the girls.

9:30 - 10:00 Outdoor/Activity Time. If any of our subjects have run a little over, we push it into this time slot a little, but otherwise we take a walk, ride bikes, play outside or if the weather is yucky, have fun with the Wii.

10:00 - 10:15 Snack and Reading

10:15 - 11:00 Science and Bible. Again I alternate Bible and Science. Science is Tu/Thu and Bible is on Monday with the girls and Wednesday with Zachary. Kaleb will sometimes sit along with us at the table or I put a short video on for him and he will otherwise play by himself. If I am working with Zachary on Bible, the girls will work on independent reading or another activity/game that I have in their workboxes.

11:00 - 11:30 Geography. This is the time that we are sitting on the couch reading books together about the country we are studying, working on mapping activities, etc... Kaleb likes to sit on my lap or pull out his special school stuff to work on . :) Coloring...anything.

11:30 - 12:00 Free Time for older kids and 1:1 time for Kaleb. The older kids can either 'catch-up' on things that they couldn't finish earlier {reading or a worksheet, etc...}

12:00 - 12:30 Lunch and Reading. If I didn't read with the kids during breakfast, I'll sit with them and read a chapter from a book we're doing together.

12:30 - 1:00 - Game Time.

1:00 - 1:30 Outside or Table Time. Time to burn some energy off before Kaleb's nap...or if the weather is yucky we pull out our art supplies.

1:30 - 2:00 Art. Once Kaleb is in his room for nap, the older three and I have time for more involved art activities if there are any on the radar - otherwise, they are allowed to rotate through on the computer and they play together for a 'quiet time'.

2:00 - 2:30 Time with Laurianna. Because of the reviews that I do, this is the time that I have set aside if there is a product that doesn't fit into our normal day's routine...she gets to be the guinea pig. :)

Be sure to stop by and visit Darcy@My3Boybarians to check out a "Day in the Life" schedules from other homeschooling moms!


Photobucket

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • I LOVE the idea of reading to the kids during meals. I have been wanting to start read-alouds with them. But, I have to ask...when do YOU eat if you are busy reading? My husband would NOT like this idea if it means that I don't eat...I tend to get so busy with "stuff" that I "forget" to eat and I defnitely don't need another reason to "forget"! {smile}

    Also, I love the idea of game time. I really want to implement that into our day. Do you play with the kids or do they play by themselves?

    By Blogger Mama Jenn, At August 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

  • We do chores before school time also. It gives my sons the opportunity to work on things along side their Dad.

    By Blogger Sandra, At August 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

  • I love taking a peek into how each mom/teacher organizes her day..thanks for letting us be a fly on the wall! I just might have to post our daily schedule on my blog sometime next week...FUN!!
    Also like you said..I think it's a constant moving things around to tweek them just right from season to season. With other little ones, it makes scheduling interesting sometimes (smile)

    By Blogger The Gaertegang Homestead, At August 26, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

  • Thanks for posting your daily schedule. It really helps to see what other families are doing. I love the idea of the 5 things to do before school starts. My daughter is 5 and does some of those things (with many prompts)...

    By Blogger Amy, At August 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM  

  • I admire people who can get up and get going that fast. I think we really get going about 9, by we, I mean me. I am so not a morning person.

    By Blogger Ticia, At August 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

  • You truly amaze me! You are so dedicated!

    By Blogger Tara Broman, At August 27, 2009 at 7:44 AM  

  • Can I ask from the curriculum written on the left, what are you using for Zachary?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 27, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

  • Hi! I just found your site. I really like your ideas. Thank you for sharing them!

    By Anonymous Belinda, At August 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM  

  • It's pretty amazing how full aand structured your day is. I can't imagine getting Anna back into any sort of schooling once she is given an opportunity to play. I always have to fit any sort of structured learning in between free play, but it seems to work for us.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At August 27, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

  • Hi I am new to this site and rally love all your ideas and tips. We just move to a bigger house Thank God and have the room to be more organized. I started with the bookshelves but i did not know how to keep going with everything else. You inspired me to keep going. Also would like to know how to get in the review business. Would like to do it myself. thanks for all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 9, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

  • sorry forgot to include my email address I am the lady asking how to start in the review business. usavemej4@yahoo.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At July 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

  • I always enjoy reading how others set up their school day. We do the morning chores too. They do their personal care jobs and then one family job which rotates. The family jobs are collect dirty laundry, garbages, animals, sweep entryway.

    By Blogger Jennifer, At October 15, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home