Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Raising Rock Stars ~ Getting Ready for Advent

Raising Rock Stars

I’m not saying that I’m ready for Thanksgiving to already be over, but with Advent coming up soon, I can’t help but be excited!! In our day-to-day studies, the kids are keeping up with their Awana verses and we’re reading {almost} daily from our Hands-on Bible too

We received some new devotionals for all of the kids from The Good Book, including a fun Advent calendar we’ll use to start our mornings and then some deeper devotionals that I can do with the kids each day. Kaleb is excited to have his own little book, Beginning with God at Christmas {that goes along with the Beginner’s Bible}, and Laurianna is especially excited to be using the Discover daily devotional.

Something has ‘clicked’ in both of the girls over the last two weeks and it is so amazingly wonderful to watch them take ownership of their own quiet times by really studying God’s word and wanting to dig in deeper. McKenna decided to start reading the Bible in 90 Days following one of the modified Bible reading plans for children. It really makes my heart rejoice to see both girls get excited every morning and find a quiet spot to read and study. :)

I am so excited to start reading the book Tabitha’s Travels by Arnold Ytreeide as a family each night as part of our Advent study. For the last few years we've been celebrating the Advent season with the kids to help focus on the REAL reason of Christmas, and truth be told, it helps keep the adults in the right frame of mind too! There have been various books that we've used together over the years, but the Jotham’s Journey series has been a family favorite. The other two books in the series are Jotham’s Journey and Bartholomew’s Passage.

Whew! That was a lot…I’m interested to know how YOU all celebrate Advent ~ or do you? Are there special traditions that you have as a family during this time? Leave a comment and share!

Don't forget to visit Carisa at 1+1+1=1 and visit around to some of the other Raising Rock Star posts this week!

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

  • Those look like a wonderful collection of books. This is actually our first year of celebrating Advent as a family and we're going about it a little differently. Here's our alternative to the traditional Advent calendar:

    http://thelittlelist.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/i-n-h-a-b-i-t-a-celebration-home/

    By Anonymous The Little List, At November 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

  • I got those books but was told I should wait until they are a little older to read them and that they are pretty intense. Then I got another one and I forget what it's called. :) Guess we will do the simple one this year and save the others until next year!

    By Blogger Christy, At November 24, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

  • I have been looking for some new Advent resources! Thanks so much.

    We have celebrated ABC Advent for 8 years. It is something the Lord gave me to share the meaning of the Christmas season with my girls. They love it, I can remember it, and it helps us to pause and focus simply on Jesus!

    By Anonymous Stacey, At November 24, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

  • They're ones that we're going to continue to cycle through ~ if there is anything that seems too 'scary' for the kids, I just edit it out as I'm reading. We started reading them with all the kids two years ago {so Zachary was 4}. Some of it was over his head and he was bouncing around the couch, but the girls LOVED it. :) Last year he was much more interested {when he was 5}.

    Did you see that there is an Easter version of the series coming out ~ Jotham's son is the main character during Jesus' life.

    By Blogger Jolanthe, At November 24, 2010 at 8:03 AM  

  • We are very excited for Advent around here too! Sounds like you guys have gotten into a nice routine.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

  • We are doing a modified Jesse Tree (we're not Catholic), and reflecting on the gift of Christ shown through Scripture.

    By Blogger Sam, At November 24, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

  • I made an Advent calendar earlier this week! I have picked out all the Bible verses I want to use but I still have to make all the ornaments... um, maybe that was a mistake, lol... when am I going to get it done??? http://at-home-adventures.blogspot.com/2010/11/diy-advent-calendar-phase-1.html

    By Blogger alison, At November 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

  • We are doing the Jesse Tree also (and also not Catholic). This will be our first year. Our ornaments came from a local mommy group that I am in. I'm excited about it!

    By Blogger 247mama, At November 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

  • I've got a bunch of new stuff for Advent this year, including a new wreath that I love. Each candle is held by a character from the nativity. So cute!

    By Blogger Stefanie, At November 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM  

  • We also really enjoy the advent season and have incorporated the Jesse Tree in our celebrating the past few years as well.
    I had a difficult time finding ornaments to go along with our devotional, so my mom actually helped me create some that we're offering for sale now, if you know of anyone who's looking.
    http://jessetreeornaments.wordpress.com/
    http://www.loviebabyblankets.com/jessetreeornaments

    I enjoy reading your blog. :o) I think I found it through 1+1+1=1. We're in our second year of homeschooling, and it's nice to have such great resources online. So much more than my mom had when she started homeschooling 25 years ago.

    By Blogger cheryl, At November 24, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

  • We use the Jesse Tree and we also have an advent wreath that we light candles on as the weeks go on with a devotion about it. But when we added the Jesse Tree the wreath devotion got less.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

  • I'm so excited for Advent too! I can hardly wait! We lit the first candle at Church today!! It's so cool how your kids are taking Bible study so personally. thanks for all the great resources. I hope someday I can use those with my kids.

    By Blogger Jackie Higgins, At November 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

  • We read those books too! WONDERFUL!!!! I am going to look into the devotions you referenced. I have done a poor job of training my children to read the Bible on their own. I haven't been a good example either. I need to reprioritize so that there is time in our day.

    By Blogger Amy, At November 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM  

  • We enjoy celebrating Advent as a family. Last year we did family, readings, activities and crafts. during Advent.

    We are excited about the Lord Jesus' coming in the past, in the future, and in our own lives. I hope that as a family we can reflect on God’s love, word, and promise this season.

    By Blogger Sandra, At November 30, 2010 at 3:29 AM  

  • how is everyone liking tabitha? are they remembering bart and jotham from the other 2 books? we really like it. i wish there was another new book to read for next year.

    By Blogger Michelle, At December 8, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

  • how is everyone liking tabitha? are they remembering bart and jotham from the other 2 books? we really like it. i wish there was another new book to read for next year.

    By Anonymous Michelle, At December 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

  • I'm so excited for Advent too! I can hardly wait! We lit the first candle at Church today!! It's so cool how your kids are taking Bible study so personally. thanks for all the great resources. I hope someday I can use those with my kids.

    By Anonymous Jackie H., At December 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

  • We use the Jesse Tree and we also have an advent wreath that we light candles on as the weeks go on with a devotion about it. But when we added the Jesse Tree the wreath devotion got less.

    By Anonymous knit1kids4, At December 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

  • I've got a bunch of new stuff for Advent this year, including a new wreath that I love. Each candle is held by a character from the nativity. So cute!

    By Anonymous Giggly Girls, At December 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home