Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Raising Rock Stars ~ Celebrating Advent

Not too long after Rick and I were married we began celebrating the season of Advent together as a couple. As we’ve added children into the mix, the way we celebrate has changed from year to year, but the main focus is still remembering the Reason for the Season.

In the center of our dining room table we have a simple Advent wreath. I arranged {fake} greenery in a basket and added in five candles ~ 4 tapers {3 purple and 1 pink} and then a larger white candle in the center {the Jesus candle}.

Each night after dinner we sit down as a family and read an Advent devotional together as a family. Last year we read the book Jotham’s Journey together and this year we are working on the second book in the same series, Bartholomew’s Passage by Arnold Ytreeide. Although the stories are geared for kids, I’ll admit that they pull me in just as much and Rick and I enjoy them too!

I’ll be sharing some of our regular weekly Bible things later, but wanted to share about Advent since it just started. Carisa has some Christmas resources too this week, so be sure to visit her at 1+1+1=1 and see some of the other Raising Rock Star posts!

Photobucket

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • That is a sweet tradition! I'm sure your children love it!

    Blessings and love,
    Jill

    By Blogger Unknown, At December 2, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

  • We don't celebrate advent (or christmas for that matter) but when we stopped, I couldn't part with those books! We skip the advent part, but we still love the stories so much!

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At December 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

  • We began the same tradition in our home several years ago and have been so blessed by the stories and simply the time set aside so purposely to be together and linger on Jesus as a family. We cycle through all three of Ytreeide's books and enjoy them all and *every time*! We light the appropriate candles, turn off all the lights (and turn on the Itty Bitty Book Light) and sit together on the couch and listen. It creates such a peaceful end to our day and with the right frame of mind for a good night's rest!

    By Blogger Anji, At December 2, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

  • I LOVE the idea of reading "by candlelight" with a little help from the Itty Bitty Booklight. We are reading Jotham's Journey this year. It is so hard for ALL of us to stop at the end of one reading. I have tried not to read ahead, but I must admit that I have peeked ahead a couple of times. I think it is a nice start to our Advent tradition. Next year, I hope to add to it with a Christmas hymn and Bible reading each night as well.

    By Blogger Jennifer, At December 9, 2009 at 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home