Homeschool Creations

Friday, April 24, 2009

Preschool Corner: Evaluating Progress

Over the last week {despite the fact that we have a few letters of the alphabet left to cover} we've just been having fun ~ all while I try to get a good idea of exactly where Zachary is in the scope of things.

The reason? The big ol' question of Kindergarten.

You see {and here's where the rule-stickler in me has problems sometimes} three of our kids missed our state's cut-off date age for starting school by just a bit. Zachary is the closest to that cut-off date but the beauty of it all is ~ I'm HOMESCHOOLING. So really...I can start him if I want, right?

But then I start to second guess myself and wonder if he is emotionally ready for it. And then I remember that he isn't going to be in a large classroom. It's just us. I'm the one that has to handle the emotions, right?

To boost my own confidence a bit, we've just been having fun and reviewing what he does know to see where he stands in the grand scheme of all things academic. Since the girls are starting their yearly evaluations, he wanted to do some things too. :)

The kid has been blowing me away ~ in a GOOD way! Here's what the little man has let me know:
  • he can count to 100 ~ by ones and tens
  • can identify numbers up to 100
  • counts with 1:1 correspondence
  • can give ordinal positions (first, last, second, middle)
  • he knows the days of the week, months of the year
  • he's adding single digits (under the sum of 10)
  • matching upper and lowercase (knows them all now by name)
  • reading 4 letter words and working on that silent 'e'
  • writes his own name and everyone else's too
  • knows his address/phone number, date of birth, everyone's full name, address...
  • names the continents and major bodies of water
  • fine motor and gross motor - definitely no problems there
  • definitely doesn't have problems expressing himself in any way, shape, or form
  • is telling time to the hour and doing better with half hour
  • tells time on a digital clock
After all this...I'm pretty comfortable starting him as a Kindergartner next year. Does it really matter? I'm not going to be reporting him to the school system yet anyway, so not really. But just in the back of my mind it helps give me a better idea on what to do and which direction to head (i.e. including him in studies with the girls more vs. doing things more independently).

The wonderful part of homeschooling is that it doesn't matter either way. Yes, I obviously want to keep them at their grade level (not below), but we have so much flexibility in going ahead if we want too ~ and keeping up with his pace and where he is at.

That is what I love.

Next week we will return to the alphabet posts, but just wanted to share what we've been up to. Hope you all had a great week!

About the Preschool Corner:

The Preschool Corner is a place for us to share the ideas we are using during our "preschool time" with our kids. You can join in the fun and record what you are doing in your house. Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below (if you have questions feel free to ask). Be sure to link back to this blog post so that your readers can find some other great ideas too!

The guidelines can be found here if you need them.

Share what you've been doing in your house this week!



Photobucket

Labels:

10 Comments:

  • Wow! He has accomplished a lot - I'd say he is ready! I hope Mali is that ready a year from now!

    You are doing great! Don't second guess yourself!

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At April 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

  • Zachary is blowing my mind too! That is great progress for a little one who is not even in "kindergarten" yet!!! I am impressed and encouraged!!!

    By Blogger Mama Jenn, At April 24, 2009 at 4:50 PM  

  • i am very impressed with the breadth of knowledge your little guy has- i used to teach elementary school and i would say that zach has a lot of first grade skills down!
    how did you decide to test him on those subjects? is there a pre-k curriculum guide that you are following? thanks!
    thehometeacherblog@gmail.com

    By Blogger Keri, At April 24, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

  • sounds like he is ready for kindergarten level learning. good luck.

    By Blogger Denice, At April 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

  • We started our oldest on her homeschooling journey a little early and have no regrets. Our second will have an extra year to wait until we start any formal curriculum. She needs the extra time. Like you, I'm glad we can gauge our child's needs and let them proceed at their own place. :0) I want to say, "Go for it!" but I know you'll make the best choice for your son.

    (I also enjoyed your organizational post. It seems a lot of people are sharing about this topic and it is perfecting timing as I consider how to organize myself for next year's curriculum.) :0)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 25, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

  • I agree with Keri, many of my first graders didn't have some of those skills coming into first grade when I taught.

    By Blogger Ticia, At April 25, 2009 at 10:58 AM  

  • Wow! Did you make up your own checklist or did you find one somewhere. I have one will be 5 in October of this year and if I were putting him in the public school system I would be waiting until the following year to enter him in Kindergarten. A huge change from my twins that have a May birthday. I've been having a mental debate as to how much I should "school" him in the fall.

    By Blogger Twinmomwv, At April 26, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

  • Just did my first Preshool Corner post and I am super excited.

    By Blogger Mama Jenn, At April 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

  • I have been following your other blog and today found this one. I am going to enjoy this one as well. I am truly amazed at what your child already knows. My 4 year old will miss starting (public) school this fall by a couple of months where we live. I am trying my best to prepare her, but she is a long ways off. Thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 30, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

  • That is great!! I am an assistant in a 4 year old PreK class, and most of ours don't know half of that. It is really sad that some of them still struggle to write their first name.

    I so wanted to homeschool my kids but have had to go back to work. I was hoping the work was temporary, but it doesn't look that way.

    By Blogger Tiffany, At May 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home