Homeschool Creations

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hana in the Time of the Tulips

I love children's books. One might say I have a fascination with them. And every now and then I come across one that I just absolutely adore.



Hana in the Time of the Tulips
by Deborah Noyes is one of those books.

I bought it to use during our study of the Netherlands and my mom and I have spent so much time admiring the pictures and story that the book tells {I do believe we've forgotten it was for the children}.



Hana lives during the time of the 'tulip fever' in Holland. Her father, someone she used to spend so much time with, has become caught up in the tulip phenomenon ~ and the market is now failing. Her family stands to lose everything. Tulips in those days were 'as precious as gold'.



Hana works as hard as she can, along with help from a family friend ~ Rembrandt, to help her father see what is really important.



The paintings and sketches in the book were done by Bagram Ibatoulline in the style of that period's Dutch master artists. The lighting and color in the pictures are beautiful ~ one that will stay in our collection for years.



Photobucket

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • Jolanthe,
    This looks like a beautiful book. I've recently been told about these Hana books but I have yet to take a look at one myself. Thank you for the glimpse and the reminder that I must go find these.
    Cheryl

    By Blogger Unknown, At March 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home